New Greek owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellyb

5 Year Member
I got a 6 month old greek tortoise new years eve and I have a few questions for you.

1. What subspecies do I have?? (pics below)

2. I have included a pic of his home is it ok? Temps are 92-95 in the hot end and 72-76 on the cool end. At night he is 80ish in the hotside and as low as 68 on the coolside. Is this all ok?

3. I have been feeding him spring mix with no spinach some collard greens everyday and he eats it all. There is also a pile of timothy hay in his home but he hides in itbut does not eat it. I also add calcium three days a week. And he is soaked every other day but has access to water all the time. Is this a good schedule?? I am trying to figure out what I can grow him to add veriaty so if you have any hints please let me know.

And is there anything I am missing in general??

january2010182.jpg

january2010186.jpg

january2010184.jpg

january2010188.jpg

january2010183.jpg

january2010177.jpg

dreadyA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southern cal.
Aw cute baby, Kellyb.
I don't have Greeks so I can't give you details...
But for general hatchling care, you should soak them once a day in lukewarm water.
Someone else will chime in.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Sounds like you're doing everything great! I like your set up. I like to feed my hatchlings every other day. I believe in letting mine grow slowly - but how often you feed is up to debate. I can't tell you what sub species you have, but I'll take a stab at it - maybe a Jordanian?

kellyb

5 Year Member
Thank you yes he is pretty cute! By the way his name is Clive :)

How much would you feed everyother day?

Kelly

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Clive looks like a Testudo graeca ibera to me :)

Danny

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Good looking little Ibera you have!

80's at night is on the warm side. 68 is fine, even cooler. Ibera, along with other Northern Mediterranean and Russian tortoises are accustomed to a 15-20 degree difference from night to day.

Mine also burrow through the timothy hay most of the time, scattering it all over the place! But it's still a good idea to have it available to them at all times since some will graze on it more than others. Even those that don't often start suddenly doing so. It provides them with additional fiber and is a very natural process. Many will often eat dry leaves. Especially as they get older.

As far as diet, variety and quality are the key. I feed what you listed and much, much. About 80% mixed, quality greens and 20% quality mixed vegetables.

I personally don't sprinkle calcium powder on the food of my tortoises but offer it seperately in a small shallow dish that is sunk into the substrate. Various tortoises eat it at different times and different amounts.

Access to water is fine and so is soaking. You probably don't need to do it every other day but if it's not a bother to your schedule then it's no harm either. It's very important to keep young tortoises well hydrated. Lightly spraying the substrate daily in not a bad idea either. Especially in the area that your tortoise prefers to sleep or rest. This will help keep the substrate somewhat moist which is beneficial for the tortoise when it buries itself in the substrate.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Clive is just as cute as a button! :D

I am so impressed that you clearly did your homework and researched carefully BEFORE you got this little guy so he could start out in an ideal environment. :p

Cheers to you and Clive! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.