New Gopherus

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Since I am not experienced with this Genus, I thought I would defer to the experts. What do I have?:) I know it is a female as she laid eggs a week ago. I just got her this evening. She was found wandering the streets of a central Illinois small town near the Illinois River. She was with the previous owner for 6 years. She is very friendly and outgoing. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• gopherus 1.JPG
    gopherus 1.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 55
  • gopherus 4.JPG
    gopherus 4.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 56
  • gopherus 6.JPG
    gopherus 6.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 61
  • gopherus 7.JPG
    gopherus 7.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 76
  • gopherus 8.JPG
    gopherus 8.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 96

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
She sure as heck looks like a Florida Gopher to me. I almost never nail ID's, so I am probably wrong, LOL. I just keep trying and hope to learn from my mistakes. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'll be darned! So it really was a Gopherus and not a sulcata. Well, I'm not real good at i.d.ing the gopherus species, but I'm going to guess Texas or Gopherus berlandieri. Of course you know that Danny is going to shoot me down!

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
Yvonne, Yep, it wasn't a sulcata. I am glad that it wasn't. I hope Danny does let me know what I have. That would be cool if it is a Texas. Ya never know.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You have a Desert tortoise, Gopherus agassizii, Jeff :)

Danny

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
tortoiseguy65 said:
Since I am not experienced with this Genus, I thought I would defer to the experts. What do I have?:) I know it is a female as she laid eggs a week ago. I just got her this evening. She was found wandering the streets of a central Illinois small town near the Illinois River. She was with the previous owner for 6 years. She is very friendly and outgoing. Let me know what you think.

I would say you have a gopher. I was looking at some pictures I took of one a few years ago. A guy who is a trucker picked one up off of the road in Florida and brought it back to Texas. I know, I know, it's illegal. I told him that, he understood and took it back. The pictures look very similar. I'm noticing there is no nucal scute. I wonder if it was injured there? All of the gopherus seem to have this scute present.

Florida Gopher
Gophertortoise009.jpg

Gophertortoise006.jpg

Gophertortoise007.jpg

-Matt

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
Thanks Danny. Could you direct me to a good reference where one can distinguish between the 4 species?

egyptiandan said:
You have a Desert tortoise, Gopherus agassizii, Jeff :)

Danny

Matt,
Regardless of which species it is, I don't think I can legally send it anywhere. Correct me if I am wrong, Danny? I am pretty sure It shouldn't even be here in IL, but I am guessing someone grabbed it years ago and brought it home perhaps thinking they were saving it. Who knows how long she has been here in Illinois. She looks quite old, and her previous owner had her for 6 years. As I said before that, she was found wandering the streets in a central illinois community.

matt41gb said:
Hey, Jeff. If it's a "Texas" you have to send it to me! Ha!

-Matt

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
Jeff, I was just saying that since I live in Texas of course. :) But......... If you do want to send her this way, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. Ha!

-Matt

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Wait, Texas tortoises can be owned outside of Texas? With or without a permit?

I too used to have a Gopher polyphemus, and it looks JUST like Gomer - The spot on the shell were it is split looks like an old injury. It definitely looks like it was raised in captivity to me.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes Texas tortoise can be owned outside of Texas without a permit. :)

I agree with the raised in captivity and most likely CB. The no nuchal scute looks like a genetic defect to me.

Danny

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I was right! Yeah I'm so happy because I did learn something from the one thread that was posted by Yvonne earlier (I think) this month where Danny had posted pictures of the Texas DT. :D The face looks just like Fernando's, but the shell is a different color and darker like Danny had said. Anyway nice looking little girl congratulations. ;)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LOL, Larry, really I was joking. I for one am many miles from Texas, and I don't have the climate to care for one. I should have made it clear that I was not serious. I would never take a wild native tortoise and try and keep it in captivity. I hate that my Hingebacks and Russians are wild caught, but, people setting up breeding groups is the only way that we will get captive bred populations of them.

Thank you for posting that and making me explain myself, I really did give the wrong impression, and it is good for everyone to know that our native species do need to be protected.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Didn't mean to say that you can go down to Texas to pick one up. Just that ones that came from Mexico ( a few came in a few years ago) and ones that are already out of the state of Texas are legal to own without a permit in most states. They aren't federally protected, so can be transfered from one state to another.
The ones that came in from Mexico were expensive Kristina, $1,500 each :D

Danny

Fokkerdon

5 Year Member
Actually you need permit for Berlanderei (Texas) if in california, just the same as Agassizii.

Fokkerdon

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Didn't mean to say that you can go down to Texas to pick one up. Just that ones that came from Mexico ( a few came in a few years ago) and ones that are already out of the state of Texas are legal to own without a permit in most states. They aren't federally protected, so can be transfered from one state to another.
The ones that came in from Mexico were expensive Kristina, $1,500 each :D

Danny
Danny,
They are federal protected under the ESA and are CitesII listed too, lest to the best of my info at this time. Is this just for the ones that are still in the wild/texas or does it also apply to all captive ones???

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Don all tortoises are either CITES I or II. CITES has no bearing on whether animals can be shipped between states, just for import or export. The only thing that prohibits interstate travel (without a permit) is animals on our Endangered Species List. So I can ship Egyptian tortoises (CITES I animals) without a permit between states as they aren't on our Endangered Species List. Radiated tortoises (still a CITES I animal) are different though. You can't ship them (unless you have permits) between states as they are on our Endangered Species List.
The only native tortoises on our Endangered Species List is the Desert tortoise, Gopherus agassizii and the Gopher tortoise, Gopherus polyphemus.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.