New girls...*I hope* ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Well here they are, the smallest onel is just shy of 6" SCL and the bigger one is 7.75" SCL.

Little one: 535 grams, is a little light and a bit lumpy.

Big one: 1280 grams

b06e2220.jpg

94550f07.jpg

Little one
b143d0a2.jpg

666572cc.jpg

Bigger one
409ea6ca.jpg

f24e98ea.jpg

553f21f4.jpg

9d34b12b.jpg

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
The bigger one has the spaces between the scutes like Makidash, that means she's been overfed (as Terry told me). So maybe she's just "chubby" and that's why her throat looks like that??? Just a guess!

Anyways they are LOVERLY and I'm soooo happy for you!!! Envious, even! LOL! I can't wait to hear the executive decision on their gender! If you should ever part with one, LMK please oh please!

Now to find some males, eh?!?!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Yea they both have some thick growth rings but Im sure it can be evened out. :)

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Very nice Anja! Were these girls rescues?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They look great Anja :D glad you've got them now. The larger one is definately a female, but I don't think you need to look far for a male. The smaller one is looking male to me. ;)

Danny

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
OK I got a pic of the big ones tail out, she tucks it up tight if you try to touch it. lol Im guessing girl. Terry? Danny?

b519d569.jpg

Dee these were listed on Craigslist here locally. The prices were decent, as the lady was just tired of taking care of them. She also had a 1.5yr old Sulcata that she wanted $80 for but I passed on that one. hehe She had them living in a 40 gal glass breeder tank WITH the Sulcata AND a Yellow Plated lizard. They had a thin layer of substrate which was very sparse and a small cat litter pan used for water with part of the side cut out so they could walk in it. She actually did have a UVB light on them surprisingly.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Ooooo lucky! I hope one of my girls ends up being a male, too!!! I'l l have to redo Sasoy's picture, she is 5 7/8 inches so almost big enough to be sure, right?!?!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I so wish I coulda had you pick up the sulcata for me! I loved his pic, but yah I so can't do the size (when he's bigger)!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
egyptiandan said:
They look great Anja :D glad you've got them now. The larger one is definately a female, but I don't think you need to look far for a male. The smaller on is looking male to me. ;)

Danny

Hmmmmm I really suck at this sexing thing, almost as much as Tracy does! HAHAHAHA That little ones tail sure looked short and stubby after the vent. lol

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Boy that was a whole lot of stuff for one "tank". Glad they are with you!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
JustAnja said:
OK I got a pic of the big ones tail out, she tucks it up tight if you try to touch it. lol Im guessing girl. Terry? Danny?

b519d569.jpg

LOL Are those rolls of fat above his legs?!?! That's what my big girls (Russians) are developing, and why I am feeding them MUCH MUCH smaller portions! They are such oinkers!

I hope these two eat well for you! I'm still having issues getting my RF's to eat daily!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
She is pretty chunky! After picking her up and inspecting her again I dont see the lumps under her chin like it shows in the pics. lol

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm going by size of the tail and the shape of the anal scutes. Females anal scutes are almost always in a U shape. Males are more an open V shape. I have though seen females with a closed V shape, so I can't be 100% sure the small one is a male. :p

Danny

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Well the previous owner of the two RFs has posted a new ad on CL for the Sulcata and setup. Here are the pics of where the Sulcata, 2 RFs and a Yellow Throated Plated Lizard lived.

4c7f23ac.jpg

30718df2.jpg

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Yes.. I have relied on the "anal scute" method for years. And it holds true "most" of the time.

The female is over 11" and the male is just 10"..

ANALSCUTEID.jpg

You can see his tail pulled up to the right ( near his left hind foot )..

ANALSCUTESEXING3.jpg

Yours both appear to be NW South American.. based on the absence of red on the head. So Anj the largest one is a female!

At almost 8" a male will start to develop the concave plastron.. seldom before. The exception is the Southern / Brazilian.. aka 'cherryhead'. Mine at 7" had all of the signs.. look at the plastron colors..

AAACHERRYP.jpg

Now the smaller one??? Time will tell.. the anal scutes are saying male.. watch the tail! There will be a lot more length on the tip of the tail on the male.. than the female which has barely none.

Get them set-up in as big as you can.. hot and humid.. low light and animal protein for their D3!

Have we learned anything?

Terry

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Funny thing, the bigger one has a slightly concave plastron ;) They will be setup in a 4ft polystyrene stock tank for now, I will probably pickup a 6ft poly stock tank for them next week. Im going to cover 2/3 of the tank and just have a regular fluorescent bulb on one end. The room is heated, its the snake room and stays at an ambient temp of 82-85 so I dont think I should provide anymore heat for them correct?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
JustAnja said:
Funny thing, the bigger one has a slightly concave plastron ;) They will be setup in a 4ft polystyrene stock tank for now, I will probably pickup a 6ft poly stock tank for them next week. Im going to cover 2/3 of the tank and just have a regular fluorescent bulb on one end. The room is heated, its the snake room and stays at an ambient temp of 82-85 so I dont think I should provide anymore heat for them correct?

Anja the concavity runs the length of the plastron.. not the width.

Get us a close-up on that little one's tail? So far the more I look at it the more it looks female.. which they do until almost 8" for the Northern's.

Those temps are fine.

Terry

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
JustAnja said:
Yea they both have some thick growth rings but Im sure it can be evened out. :)

BTW.. the only thing you can do about the carapace is make sure it doesn't get any worse. There is nothing you can do to "even" it out Anj.

Terry

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I'm glad to here of your rescue. I hope someone with your knowledge and skill come to the rescue of the sulcata and plated lizard. 40 gallon tank ??? I hope it was at least a long. Then at least the lizard w/o torts would have minimal room.

Status
Not open for further replies.