New forum or sub-forum: Books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
One forum we don't have here that I miss from other sites is a forum on books, media, etc. These forums are usually not big for traffic, but it is sort of nice.

If we open one, I will happily bring over my reviews of books, etc. from other sites and write a new one on the new book I ordered.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
I was looking for the book forum last night and couldn't find it. I am an avid reader of books and although i use goodreads/amazon it would be good to get some tortoise and book discussions on the same site! I can copy my reviews onto here which is no problem. It could be a popular forum...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
If we had such a forum, I could post stuff like this review of a new book on Redfoots and Yellowfoots:

""Redfoots and Yellowfoots: The Natural History, Captive Care, and Breeding of Chelonoidis carbonaria and Chelonoidis denticulata" by Amanda Ebenhack, Turtles of the World, Volume 3. 2009, Living Art Publishing. 165 pages with color photographs, a couple maps, photo gallery section, 2 bibliographies, and a list of websites. $21.95 at Amazon.com.

"Redfoots and Yellowfoots" is a nicely done book that covers a lot of information on these related species. There is some excellent coverage of topics such as island forms, telling Red- and Yellow-foots apart, identifying sexual characteristics, regional variations, and incubating eggs. There are also nice lists of safe and unsafe plants (mostly taken from other sites and properly documented.)"

Cut for length because I posted the full review at turtleforum.com and a copy in the 'Off Topic' forum here that asked about the book.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I notice, and have been following this thread. I think a forum for media in general would be a great idea... I'll check to see how many threads we would have to move over to a new forum.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I just paid $65 for a book on Hermanns because of a high recommendation. I never would have paid that for any book without a strong recommendation. By the same token, I will pay that amount in a second if it is highly recommended!

So yes, from a review and content per dollar paid, its a great idea.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
bettinge said:
I just paid $65 for a book on Hermanns because of a high recommendation. I never would have paid that for any book without a strong recommendation. By the same token, I will pay that amount in a second if it is highly recommended!

So yes, from a review and content per dollar paid, its a great idea.

Betts, what book did you buy? and is it very good, is it worth the 65$?

muddled

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
That's a good idea! Whenever I find reptile-related things I always do searches here to see what other people have to say about it. Reviews would be so helpful!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
The media forum is up and running under the Off Topic forum. if you see any threads that need to be moved to the new forum please "report" them (aka flag them) so myself or a moderator can move them ASAP.
Thanks!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Josh said:
The media forum is up and running under the Off Topic forum. if you see any threads that need to be moved to the new forum please "report" them (aka flag them) so myself or a moderator can move them ASAP.
Thanks!

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.