New foods? Might they cause a tortoise to throw up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
So I finally found some Mustard Greens and decided to feed them to my redfoots. As can happen, some didn't eat much of it really quick, but most of the babies (~7 months) did eat it.

A bit later I noticed some green material on the substrate. Upon further investigation I found that it was fairly fresh throw up of the mustard greens. It looked like it hadn't stayed in the stomach too long, since it was still somewhat intact leaf, but just coated with a funky slime that I'd think was from the stomach.

Do new foods sometimes cause Torts to throw it back up? Any other thoughts, or experiences of this?

Thalatte

5 Year Member
My ornate wood turtle does his if I abruptly change her diet. So I learned to introduce a little bit of the new food at a time. I usually mince it up real small and then feed it every other day. Then slowly phase it out to wear she is only eating the good stuff. It's kinda a pain but its how I got her from eating only iceberg to now eating a variety of insects along with a large salad of collards, hibiscus, and squash.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Also, be sure to wash any produce off with clean, cold water before you feed it to your tortoises.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Ok, so I didn't introduce it little by little. I just put the bunch down to see if they would eat it. Could this bunch of new foods possibly have triggered this throw up in one but not all of the babies?

I usually wash the produce first in fairly warm water, then finish it off with cold. If I forgot to do it with cold, and the produce was "warm" would this possibly have led to this scenario?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.