New father!

Oliver Cooper

New father to two hatchlings. They are active eating well, mix of grass &weeds & clovers from my yard. And cactus pads once a week along with some turnip and mustard greens,and hibiscus leaves all from my yard. And the Mazuri small tortoise diet once a week. Question is do I need to be doing anything else diet wise? Note they don't get all of these all the time I mix it up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That sounds like a pretty good diet. Here are some other food choices:

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Have you had a chance to read the 'pinned' threads shown at the top of our Sulcata section? Good info there.

Welcome to the Forum!!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your new additions. With sulcata the key to diet is variety. Keep mixing things up and adding new items to the diet. They may not eat it the first time it is given, but eventually they will give it a try. I am not sure the Mazuri small tortoise diet is the one you want to feed to your sulcata. It is intended for smaller species of tortoise, some that need more protein in their diet than is recommended for a sulcata.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
You might put a cuttlebone in their enclosure , it is a good way for them to get calcium without the need to "dust" their food !