fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

clark

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
cape canaveral/cocoa beach florida
question these are some items i feed clark daily medow mix grasses from turtle stuff.com,dandlions hibiscus leafs,white newzeland clovers,and pumkin once a week.DO any of these contain the proper fiber needed for a spur thigh tortoise diet?And is this a complete diet for clark or should i add somethings?

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
I would say ...no.
You dont ever want to stick with just one group of foods...there needs to be more variety. Theres also the time of year factor and availiablity....
I dont know or recognize the meadow grasses stuff so I cant say about that.
I use salad style hay from http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/
and orchard grass
You can also add Maruizi (not sure if I spelled that correct) Tortoise pelllet

reptileats.com also has a good variety that is shipped fresh...no hunting it down,washing or sweatin the variety issue.

clark

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
cape canaveral/cocoa beach florida
i was told to stay away from mazu tortoise pellets its more of a treat and as far as the time of year factor i live in florida its 80degrees in the winter and 90 to 100 in the summer food availabilty is not a problem.the meadow mix is a mixture of a number of grasses and weeds i also have been growing wheat grass the last 2 weeks.I started this thread in hopes of finding a stable complete diet for clark so he doesnt get to much protien or to much of this or that.I just want to know from owners of spur thigh what they feed there tortoises routinely.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I feed mine some Collard greens, Mustard greens, I also grow the meadow mix from Turtlestuff, I also have the Tortoise Krunchies from there that I sprinkle on her greens. I also give her Dandelion leaves, but its getting cold here. I bought a Nutri-bale from Ecotherm.com but she had no interest in it. I think it was because it was dry. I also ordered Cactus for her as a treat but haven't received it yet.
Im new to this myself so I'm not much help but in a book I recently bought it suggests...
grasses, prairie hay, dandelions, and a variety of leaves. Also, dark green lettuce, kale, carrot tops, broccoli, squash, some flowers, some alfalfa hay.
I think if you just make up some lists of things he can have and add what you can when you can would be good. ( don't forget the things they can't have! Need a list of that too!)
Good luck!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I would add some things to Clarks diet.

OK, Watercress, Kale, Collard Greens, Mustard greens, carrot tops I use as an occasional treat or sparingly. These tend to be higher some of the bad things.
Endive, Chicory, various dark lettuces, dandelion leaves and flowers, grasses - blue fescue, St Augustine, Bermuda, Plantain (not the banana type), Cactus, Spiderwort or wondering Jew, Spider plants, Germanium leaves and flowers, rose leaves and peddles, grape leaves, Mulberry leaves, clover, Mallow leaves and flowers (bought at the botanical sale in Claremont CA), Hibiscus flowers and leaves, Ice plant, Jade plant, bogenvia flowers and leaves. I Live in So. California so I am able to grow most of what I feed my torts. But sometimes I do have to supplement. I find that this is when I use the supermarket and try and use the Organic section. I tend not to omit any approved food but do try and feed some of them more sparingly. I have just made an order to reptileeats and am awaiting them. I may subscribe during the winter months for more variety.
For extra fiber I grind dry hay or you can purchase it from www.Carolinepetsupply.com this will add more fiber to your torts diet. Oh and yes I use Mazuri Tortoise pellets as a fiber supplement. I soak them in water for about 90 seconds then brake them up over their other food.

maxy555

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
doesnt that cause an alfalfa flavor in your latte? (dont let Starbucks get a hold of this!)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
maxy555 said:
doesnt that cause an alfalfa flavor in your latte? (dont let Starbucks get a hold of this!)

Hey, I didn't think about that but maybe I could patent it and make some $$$$$$ "alfaLatte" Hows that sound? lol.

B

Bansh88

clark said:
question these are some items i feed clark daily medow mix grasses from turtle stuff.com,dandlions hibiscus leafs,white newzeland clovers,and pumkin once a week.DO any of these contain the proper fiber needed for a spur thigh tortoise diet?And is this a complete diet for clark or should i add somethings?

That sounds like a good diet. Variety is great but somethimes you only only get what you can get. That's all good stuff right there. If you can add to it, do it. Don't stress if you can't. I know a lot of people in the colder climates have a hard time getting some produce

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Crazy1 said:
bogenvia flowers and leaves.

I didn't know these were OK for torts. Are they nutritious? This is it, right? I have one growing outside my window, but have never fed it to my tort. They are very popular and common here in Portugal.

Crazy1 said:
I use Mazuri Tortoise pellets as a fiber supplement. I soak them in water for about 90 seconds then brake them up over their other food.

How can we (European Folk) get a hold of some Mazuri?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
That’s the one. In speaking with my old vet he assured it was ok
for them to eat. My Greeks don't seem too interested in it but I have seen them munch a flower or two. I have a branch that grows over their habitat so they eat it when it falls in.
I am not sure of the nutritional value I figured they don't seem to eat much and I look at it more as roughage.
Mazuri can be purchased online at http://www.mazuri.com
or I have also found it on e-bay.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Does anyone have, or have the link to the thread that ranks the 5-10 most popular and accepted greens, from a fiber content perspective? I was thinking of stuff like watercress, escrole, endive, romaine, collards, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion, etc.......

Where does Mazuri and Grassland tortoise food fall into that rank?

I hope we can reopen this debate/discussion on fiber! The last post was almost exactly two years ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.