New enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddemor

5 Year Member
After you advised me to separate my two tortoises, I decided to build a new enclosure. One of my tortoises are very dominant, and the other one don't eat as much as he should. The big one weighs twice as much.

I bought a bookshelf from IKEA. This one.

I put it on a table, and only used one of the shelf, as a wall between the torts. I filled it with soil, and some kind of straw (don't know the word in english) But maybe I should have another materiale in the bottom? They really like to dig a hole and sleep there. So I need something they can do that with. The other shelfs I cut and screwed in to the bookshelf, so I can put things on them, and the tortoises can hide underneath.

I have two clamp lamps, but only one UV bulb right now, so I need to go to the pet store tomorrow.

I had some tiles left over after bathroom renovation, so I used them in the terrarium :)

I have tried to decorate, but I think I will change it when I have some ideas.

Here are some pictures:

Lure_album

Lure_album

Lure_album

Lure_album

Lure_album

Please tell me what I can do to improve it :D I really want to make it the best possible home for my small friends :)

Where are my pictures.....? Maybe this link works.... http://s468.photobucket.com/albums/rr41/Lure_album/ You can see them in my album, don't mind the cake decorating photos :p

chadk

10 Year Member!
Looks pretty good. The straw can mold though, so keep an eye on that.

When you say only one is UV, I think you mean UVB, right? You want a light that has both heat output and UVB. Then you need to place it close enough (or far enough) to get the right basking temp. You don't want it too close and too far is not good either. Your bulb will probably give you a range that the UVB is most effective in (like 12 to 18 inches fo example).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Here's a picture hint: When you copy the code and paste it here, you have to start with the part that says, "[img...." and end with the part that says, "...img]" So that your code would look something like this: [img1234abce5678deftimg] then when you paste it here, it turns into a picture. If you'll look at the codes you've posted, you'll see that you started with [image which is NOT the same as [img and you ended with jpg] instead of img] so you didn't use the correct code.

Yvonne

I like your book case habitat a lot. Did you line it with some sort of plastic sheeting or shower curtain? If not, the damp substrate will eventually make it through the paint and will warp the book case.

Yvonne

DSC00017-1.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

DSC00011-1.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

Oooooops!! I got carried away!!

Yvonne

Paddemor

5 Year Member
Hehe, thank you for posting my pictures, Yvonne! :)

My bulb are a Day Glo bulb from exo terra. It says that its UVA. Hmmm... thats not good enough. Can I buy bulbs that contains both UVA and UVB? It gives heat as well. Its 150 watt. I thought I had what I needed, because I have asked in the pet shop. But they don't know that much about tortoises in my country.

I have not put anything in the bottom, I only put silicone in the ends, so that soil wont get trough. I don't understand the word "warp", but if you mean that the bookshelf will be broken over time, I am prepared of that :)

Since I made the enclosure yesterday, I have been extremely allergic. I think I am reacting to the straw. I know I have grass allergy. Its really annoying, and I think I have to use something else. Its also to sharp and I am afraid that they will hurt them self. I will go to the pet store after work today, and see what they have :)

Status
Not open for further replies.