New Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dozers_Mommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
mid-Missouri
So my husband has just finished building my first tortoise table and we've just moved baby Dozer into it 2 nights ago. Of course I love it, but I also wanted some feedback on if we've missed something in building and setting it up. Dozer is less than a year old so he's pretty small yet. In one of the pictures, you'll see him in a corner on the bottom level. Oh, and he's a sulcata. I know he'll get super big, but I guess I wonder how long it takes to get too big for a tortoise table. Ok, so thanks in advance for looking and for any advice you might have! :tort:

Attachments

• IMG_4710.JPG
    IMG_4710.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_4706.JPG
    IMG_4706.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 146

PantAaroN

5 Year Member
Looks really stylish, I like it :> Only 2 things concern me here. There is a lot of open space where variables such as temperature and humidity can escape the table and cannot be manipulated properly. This can probably be fixed by putting a little plexiglass or some other form of cover around it to at least trap the humidity percentage. Also, some of your cactus still has spines (I am sure you planned on removing it, so I am not worried about it.) It really has potential, and it almost makes me a bit jealous. :p Tom has a bunch of really good posts about humidity and closed enclosures if you can find them. If I happen to run into them again I will definitely post them.

AcidElvis

5 Year Member
Looks really good. I love the creativity some people have.

Dozers_Mommy

5 Year Member
mid-Missouri
Yeah, we knew that one cactus was going to have to come out, we bought them online and 1 came different than what we thought it would. As far as the humidity, my humidity gauge is reading 74% at the lowest and 95% at the highest. What should it be staying at? Thanks so much for the input, I love reading and hearing about how to take the best care I can of my little guy.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Oh my gosh, I really love it. I use ramps in my enclosures and I think your ramp might be too steep for the baby to climb and I also use plexiglas glass sides on mine just to be extra safe. Your humidity levels sound great. What are your temps? Is the place with the hay in it a humid hide? If so I would have a soaked substrate bottom or some sort of wet moss and some how make the opening closed o the humidity can stay in. For instance you could cut slats in a plastic shower curtain and staple it on the inside of the door and put a CHE over it to make sure it is warm and humid:). If you did not make any changes at all, it is an amazing job and you and your husband have done an incredible job!!

andres

5 Year Member
Austin Texas
Yeah I agree you should put something to make sure he doesn't fall off the ramp. But that is an awesome design

luke

5 Year Member
SoCal
It really looks great. Thanks for posting.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
That's good looking enclosure, thanks for sharing.

I'd add some railing to stair though, I don't prefer to see my tortoise tipped over when nobody is around.

Status
Not open for further replies.