New Enclosure Setup. Feedback?

flimsybox

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina, USA
So far I only have half of it done: the humid half. I have just set up the mist lamp, so that might change. Right now it's tilted so the mist pours into the enclosure. There's no lid. I also have a terra cotta planter pot thing with water in it, and damp coconut fiber substrate. The humidity says 72 because I just misted and apparently over did it a bit ^-^; The temp says around the lower 90s.
The dry end isn't set up yet, and there's no way for Tom to get to it yet because my dad has to cut a hole through the plastic tubs. He's sick right now, so the cutting will have to wait. I'll post an update when I get the dry end accessible to Tom. Also there's no food in the enclosure right now because I just emptied it and we have kitten buyers over so I'm shy and don't want to go out to get food :p
_dsc0027_by_graeskies-d89u11c.jpg

Let me know what you think!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
The problem I had with those logs is, one of my Redfoots climbed like yours and would fall down upside down.
I wonder if yours is trying to get closer to the heat, as he looks comfy?
I removed my log and cut a flower pot noodle n half, as a hide.

flimsybox

North Carolina, USA
The problem I had with those logs is, one of my Redfoots climbed like yours and would fall down upside down.
I wonder if yours is trying to get closer to the heat, as he looks comfy?
I removed my log and cut a flower pot noodle n half, as a hide.
Tom hasn't ever fallen on his back before. At least not while I've had him. He's done a few faceplanting though :p He seems to scale the log quite well, and the reason why the substrate is piled up in the corner is so he can get down that way, too, because he was trying to do that earlier. I wonder if there's a way to put a railing on the log xD I'll move the heat lamp to where it's over the log instead of over the edge of the log.

flimsybox

North Carolina, USA
...and if he ever does accidentally fall off the log he may land upside down in the water. I would move the water and pile up substrate on the other side of the log too.
How is this? I have to have an empty corner on the side of the tub closest to the camera so I can cut a hole through to the dry enclosure once it's finished. That's why I moved his food to the other end - to make room for the water dish and soon-to-be hole.
_dsc0028_by_graeskies-d89ue1v.jpg

flimsybox

North Carolina, USA
Got the dry area fixed up.
final_enclosure_setup_by_graeskies-d89yjjv.jpg

I've put cherry tomatoes and slices of cucumber on each side so he learns to use both ends. I'm wary of the rock hide, on the right, but I figure if he falls it'd be the same as falling off the log hide. I would love some ideas for railings ^_^

Great job! 72% is quite decent :) Does he like his new space?
He seems to love it! I thought RTs were supposed to have 60% humidity?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Got the dry area fixed up.
final_enclosure_setup_by_graeskies-d89yjjv.jpg

I've put cherry tomatoes and slices of cucumber on each side so he learns to use both ends. I'm wary of the rock hide, on the right, but I figure if he falls it'd be the same as falling off the log hide. I would love some ideas for railings ^_^

He seems to love it! I thought RTs were supposed to have 60% humidity?
Do you have access to sticks? Waterproof hot glue is easy to find ;)
60 is great for adults, so is 72 :D For babies it's always higher, but your guy is a bit more grown up, so 60 AND 72 are quite decent :D
Great idea! He's not used to all that space ;)