New enclosure.. safe plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naturelover

5 Year Member
I was passing the hay shop so I stopped by and picked up the finest hay.. I am not sure what type it is since it is sold loose but the shop guys uses this hay to house rabbits and hamsters...

I caught the tortoise sitting on the leaf of the cactus trying to eat it so I got him down and gave him some greens and a piece of tomato.. He ate the tomato within a few minutes but he is not very fond of the greens...

Here are the pics of the final setup (I hope). Can Anyone id this cactus and confirm if its safe or not... I dont want to put anything in the tank thats not safe...

Finalsetup28thOct09001.jpg

Finalsetup28thOct09006.jpg

Tortonplant006.jpg

I am sorry for asking so many questions but i feel that all of you are very knowledgeable...

samstar

5 Year Member
I like the last photo of the Star on the cactus pot, did you put him up there?
Also from what I gather here, tomato is ok but once in a while only. Also hay is a very good substrate compared to the rest. Hay is rich in fiber and they can nibble on it if they ever get hungry.

Naturelover

5 Year Member
Thank you... I found him sitting on the cactus plant, if you see carefully you can see a large leaf under him.. I have no clue what he was doing there :p

I shall feed him tomato sparingly, I just hope he accepts other food happily... I would hate to force him to eat something he doesnt like..

samstar

5 Year Member
Today I managed to find Radish and Turnip leaves to feed my stars. PM me for Star caresheet.

Naturelover

5 Year Member
Hi,

Thank you for replying..

I went through the identifying thread and I read the articles in your signature. Thank you for helping :)

Sam I shall PM you...

samstar

5 Year Member
Naturelover,
Food I feed my Stars are:
Mazuri Tortoise Food/Calcium powder-everyday mixed with the below vegetables.

Food I mix around with the above for their daily feeds:
Romain Lettuce,Mustard Leaves,Hibiscus flower with leaves,Watercress,Parsley,Sweet potato leaves,Turnip leaves,Radish leaves,Kale

Off course I dont give all above the above vegetables together, I'd give 3 different types of vegetables mixed with the Mazuri/Calcium powder.

Tomothy hay-Their substrate and for them to nibble on
Pumpkin seed-I grind the seeds into powder form and will sprinkle on their food once every 2-3 weeks.
Tomato-once in a while.
Strawberry leaves-once in a while

I dont keep my veggies more than 10 days-2 weeks refrigerated. If I see it go a little bad, I throw it away.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I like the looks of your final set up. Sand is NOT good to use because if they eat it accidentally, it causes them quite a bit of problems, so the hay was a good choice for substrate. The only thing I would do differently is to take your scissors and cut the hay into smaller lengths.

Also, you need to set your tortoise in some warm water and let all the mud wash away off of him. He's very pretty, but dirty! :D

I noticed that you posted quite a few questions one right after the other. You must be in a different time zone than most of us here on the forum. It looks like we were ignoring you, but that's not the case. I just now saw all your posts.

The fact that you have your plants in pots like you do is a good thing. This way you can take them out to water them, and you won't be adding water to the tortoise's habitat.

Now you need to find him some sort of hiding place. They sell little hollowed out half logs in pet stores for animals to hide under. Little tortoises like your little guy are prey and they feel pretty insecure out in the open all the time. So he needs to be able to get under something to hide.

I would only grind the seeds a couple times a year to feed him. And even though the food you want to feed him has gone off so that YOU wouldn't eat it, it still might be ok to feed your tortoise. Sometimes they prefer the over-ripe and wilted stuff.

You're doing a good job. And your tortoise is a real beauty!

Yvonne

Naturelover

5 Year Member
Thank you Yvonne ... I am posting too often since I have a lot of questions and I know that all of you are helping me a lot :)

I shall give him a bath in luke warm water today so that he becomes clean...

I shall find a good hiding log for him as suggested....

Thank you once again for all the help :)

Naturelover

5 Year Member
I have a question..

How often do I change the hay and how much do I change?

This guy is a messy lil bugger.. he climbs on top of the plants everyday and topples them over.. The hay has a little bit of potting mud, a little poop and some spilled water in it....

P.S I named him SAMSON! :p

S

stells

You need to change the hay quite often as it will produce mould spores if it gets damp... and also decomposes more quickly than other substrates..

Naturelover

5 Year Member
So would it be all right if I change the top half every 3 days and the full hay once a week? Or do I need to change the hay more frequently?

S

stells

That would be fine... to make it stop getting so damp so it lasts longer its a good idea to place a barrier between the wet and dry areas like a line of flat stone or something along those lines...

samstar

5 Year Member
I mimimise my hay getting wet, pick up the poop regularly and do a full change once every 2 weeks. I bought a 500grams pack of hay which will last me a month.

Naturelover

5 Year Member
Thank you for the suggestions.. I have placed a water dish that wont fall easily and I shall pick up the poop everyday.. I shall also change the hay once in 3 - 7 days....

samstar

5 Year Member
You dont have to change the hay 3-7 days, monitor it for yourself, if it starst to smell or look bad, than swap it.

S

stells

samstar said:
You dont have to change the hay 3-7 days, monitor it for yourself, if it starst to smell or look bad, than swap it.

By the time it has started to smell or look bad it has already started to decompose and produce mould spores... best to get it before it gets to that stage...

If you can get something like Readigrass... or graze on... which is used for horses... it lasts longer than normal hay...

samstar

5 Year Member
stells said:
samstar said:

By the time it has started to smell or look bad it has already started to decompose and produce mould spores... best to get it before it gets to that stage...

If you can get something like Readigrass... or graze on... which is used for horses... it lasts longer than normal hay...

I see, thanks Kelly.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Straw would be better choice than hay if you have access to any. Straw is much less resistant to producing mold & dust. Straw is typically more bailed more "pure". In other words almost no weed content. Whereas most hays, even some of the best, often contains various weeds and plant spores. The weeds are good for the tortoises to eat, but when dry also absorb and retain moisture more easily than grass. When dried out completely most of the weeds break down creating dust and releasing spores. I have used straw exclusively in the shelters of my outdoor enclosures for many, many years with no problems.

Naturelover

5 Year Member
I cannot find straw but I am willing to change the top part of the hay every 3 days and the whole hay once in 7 days. I shall also pick up the poop everyday.

Would this be ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.