New enclosure ideas

fajita

Location (City and/or State)
southern indiana
Hello everyone! After moving into my new house I have more creative freedom when it some to enclosures and because of this and because my tortoises are my joy in life I'm planning on building them their new habitats. Taco and fajita of course are male and female so they need to be seperated. I'm wanting to make their houses 3.5feet wide by 10 feet long. I'm wanting to do a bunk bed design and but I need some ideas I've seen a couple but I didn't see really good pictures of them like how they managed the overhead lighting for the top bunk and where they put the supports in. If you could show me your designs I would appreciate it.

fajita

southern indiana
yes i have the room and i live alone so its not like i have to please anyone else. In Terms of it being comfortable. The other thing is i really want my tortoises to be the highlight of where i live i want it to be big.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you able to give them an outdoor enclosure too? That's best for them for summer.
As for your indoor idea, which sounds good, have you looked in the enclosure section? I think if you built it like human bunk beds but putting the lower enclosure on the floor and not up on legs then the second level enclosure wouldn't be so high. Add railing to the sides and instead of slats going across that would hold a mattress you put a solid piece of wood. You can hang the lights/heat for the bottom enclosure from the top enclosure floor. Then the top enclosure you could either hang from the rooms ceiling or put a wood pole that goes across from one end to the other to hang lights and heat from. If you framed the front of each one with plexiglass you would be able to see them without having to look up over the sides.

fajita

southern indiana
Unfortunately while i have control over the house to some degree i do not have any over the yard. I can grow plants but they need to be in a bucket to contain the dirt. The one you suggested welling is a great idea. The tortoises also get some decent outisde time but i live in an area with lots of kids and other people i dont know so i dont want a kid to come walking through my yard while im at work and think that little taco or fajita is gonna be their new pet.