New enclosure for Rambo almost done :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

abra

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mass
So, I'm making a new enclosure for Rambo that I hopefully wont have to update for a while :) The picture is attached. Okay so the blue Frisbee is his water bowl and the bright green one is his food bowl. Under the screen top is his half log hide that you can barely see. The only thing left I have to finish is Rambo's lights. I have an MVB and a red heat light, I broke my two lamp fixtures(my fault :/) so for Christmas I asked my mom to get me the new fixtures. I was wondering which ones I should get, home depot ones are all banged up and broken in the store and they don't have the ones I need, and Petco ones are too expensive I think. I'll check online for prices soon, but what are your recommendations?

Thanks! Check out the picture and tell me what you think, I'm also getting him cuttlebone because it's cheap(and of course good for him) haha :p It's the same as the bird ones right?

Sorry about the cell phone picture, my camera decided to breakkkkk :/

Attachments

• 1209102014.jpg
    1209102014.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 164

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's pretty nice. I'd like it better if you used a piece of broken concrete for a feeding station (or a slate tile), and a more natural-looking waterer...but that's just me. :p

Is your light sitting on a screen? I'm sorry to say that the small dimension of the holes in the screen effectively keeps out the beneficial UV rays, so you're defeating your purpose in having a UV light.

Be sure to buy a fixture with a ceramic base like this one:

http://www.petmountain.com/show_pro...gle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=11442-507156

If you buy it at a pet store its a whole lot more expensive than if you buy it at home depot or lowe's.

Then you have to hang it rather than clamp it because the MVB lights are supposed to hang straight down, not be mounted at an angle. Maybe if you talk real nice your dad will make you a lamp stand.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Yvonne, I forgot to mention that the lamp is hanging from the ceiling. I had the screen part moved over for a second on accident right under the lamp so it looks like it's sitting on top :p I got $40 for Channukah so I used it to get a lamp stand and the plastic bin, my dad paid like $10 haha. The MVB isn't hanging yet because I can find wire to hang it with. My step dad's sleeping so tomorrow I'll ask him :)

About the slate:
How much do you think slate would cost? I'm not sure where I would get broken concrete from :p And can I use a rock from my garden like boiled clean instead?

Sorry for the questions :p

emysemys said:
That's pretty nice. I'd like it better if you used a piece of broken concrete for a feeding station (or a slate tile), and a more natural-looking waterer...but that's just me. :p

Is your light sitting on a screen? I'm sorry to say that the small dimension of the holes in the screen effectively keeps out the beneficial UV rays, so you're defeating your purpose in having a UV light.

Be sure to buy a fixture with a ceramic base like this one:

http://www.petmountain.com/show_pro...gle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=11442-507156

If you buy it at a pet store its a whole lot more expensive than if you buy it at home depot or lowe's.

Then you have to hang it rather than clamp it because the MVB lights are supposed to hang straight down, not be mounted at an angle. Maybe if you talk real nice your dad will make you a lamp stand.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had a bunch of cement stepping stones (actually called masonry caps) and I just broke one of them into feeding station sized pieces. You can use a flat rock or a slate tile. Anything that's rough to keep the beak in shape as they eat. One tile usually only costs pennies.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Okay, thanks I have a garden full of small flat stones, I'll find one tomorrow :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds like everything is coming along very nicely!

Status
Not open for further replies.