New enclosure almost finished !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

muddled

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
That is way too awesome. If you put a majestic looking flag and an arch I would be convinced that's a tortoise castle!

jackiedots

5 Year Member
Dorset England
jackiedots said:
K412 said:
A thread that I will follow for sure! That is so adorable and sucha great home for your babies! They are very lucky indeed!!:D
GREAT WORK! And it's always fun when it's something you get to do with your kids.

Thankyou, yes it was great to do a project where we were both totally involved. I am going to try to post some more photos now. I shall open a new thread called "Esme & Herman finally moved in". I hope its ok to open a new thread, I am a bit of a newby really.

Kind regards
Jackie

Sorry, I think I just need to post new pictures here, not open another thread so here goes.

STP61850.jpg

Up the apples and pears !!
STP61854.jpg

Exploring - I wonder whats through here........
STP61846.jpg

Mmmmm....lettuce or pansies for lunch?
STP61837.jpg

STP61860.jpg

I love this photo...... it speaks volumes !!
STP61863.jpg

Kind regards
Jackie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jackie:

You and your son have done a great job with the habitat! I like that you put substrate up the "escalator." Everything just looks so nice. The lights are safely mounted and it doesn't detract at all from the beauty of the habitat.

My only concern is the temperature factor. I guess you'll have to keep your house pretty warm to be sure the whole habitat is warm enough, huh? The tortoises look so happy!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Well, those are luxury accommodations, make no mistake! :cool:

The built-in obstacle course is so creative and will provide them with regular exercise! :D

That last photo is truly special; the full stretch position is a perfect 10! :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Your enclosure is absolutely perfect. I love it. The last picture is a winner...save it for the contest. Pansies???

jblayza

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
when they move out, can i move in? lol Beautiful job you and your son did!

jackiedots

5 Year Member
Dorset England
terryo said:
Your enclosure is absolutely perfect. I love it. The last picture is a winner...save it for the contest. Pansies???

Yes, pansies. Terry you are the second to ask if they are pansies. Pansies are a well known flower to feed to tortoises over here in the UK. Is that not the case elsewhere ?

Contest........What contest ????

Thanks for the comments on the table. After a slow start on day one, ( I think they were a bit miffed with being moved !!) they seem to love it now. Esme in particular has been round and round the table, across and back, up and down the stairs several times, in everything and over everything. She/he has had a very active latter part of the day. They ddn't get up until 5.00 pm today. My son and I had our chairs beside the table for about 8 hours virtually non stop, willing them to wake up !!! :rolleyes:

Jackie
xx

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Pansies are common here too. Just make sure they are organic (chemical free). Looks great!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
That is amazing!!! Gives me some great ideas of how I can spice up Nelson's enclosure :) I love how natural it looks with all the plants and rocks and things! Gorgeous!

jackiedots

5 Year Member
Dorset England
tortoisenerd said:
Pansies are common here too. Just make sure they are organic (chemical free). Looks great!

Hi Kate
I bought them about 3 weeks ago, cut off all of the existing flowers, weathered them outside and changed the soil. I was told this would be ok. I now have a lot of pansie seeds planted plus lots of containers of other seeds that I bought especially for tortoises. I have spent the last 30 years of my life pulling up dandelions from my garden.........now I am growing them especially !!!! lol

Jackie

e_salter

5 Year Member
your enclosure is fantastic fancy making me one lol, im just in the process of mking mine as im getting a redfoot, this will be my 1st tortoise so fingers crossed all will go okay with him x BRILL job you and your son have done you should be very proud,

jackiedots

5 Year Member
Dorset England
e_salter said:
your enclosure is fantastic fancy making me one lol, im just in the process of mking mine as im getting a redfoot, this will be my 1st tortoise so fingers crossed all will go okay with him x BRILL job you and your son have done you should be very proud,

Thanks, yes must admit we are really pleased with it. We've only had our torts for 7 weeks and life has changed somewhat !! I have had this last week off work and done absolutely nothing if it wasn't tortoise related......... they are such wonderful time wasters. Good luck with your table and I bet you cant wait to get your redfoot. As its your first tort, the chances are you haven't been visiting the forums for long. Me neither, but everyone is so friendly and helpful, a great place to visit and I have learnt a huge amount from all the things I have read and the advise I have been given.
Would love to see some pics when your Redfoot arrives in his new home :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
"Up the apples and pears..." Stairs!!! I get it!

Next time you're in a home improvement store buy an aluminum bell-shaped clamp light fixture with a ceramic base. The large bell shaped light cover concentrates the light's heat and light more down towards the floor of the habitat. I realize that your spot light is painted silver on the back, but the fixture will be better for keeping the heat where you want it to go. You can take off the clamp, I always do, and hang the fixture like you have your light hanging. And the ceramic base is better because most of the lights and CHE's you buy for tortoise habitats get pretty hot. The plastic ones, or Bakelite ones can't take that much heat.

jackiedots

5 Year Member
Dorset England
emysemys said:
"Up the apples and pears..." Stairs!!! I get it!

Next time you're in a home improvement store buy an aluminum bell-shaped clamp light fixture with a ceramic base. The large bell shaped light cover concentrates the light's heat and light more down towards the floor of the habitat. I realize that your spot light is painted silver on the back, but the fixture will be better for keeping the heat where you want it to go. You can take off the clamp, I always do, and hang the fixture like you have your light hanging. And the ceramic base is better because most of the lights and CHE's you buy for tortoise habitats get pretty hot. The plastic ones, or Bakelite ones can't take that much heat.

Ouch !!!! I read your post and just like a child who has been told not to touch wet paint I went over and clasped my hand around my plastic ( or bakelite) bulb holder...........................you are right ...........they get VERY hot. lol. Ok, so now I know tomorrows mission.........off to find a lamp with a ceramic base. Thanks for your advice Yvonne, just off up the apples and pears to bed now. lol ( well, I would be but I live in an apartment!! )

kind regards
Jackie

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh my gosh I love the little tortoise on the stairs. I wish Ruby and Dale had that. What a great setup that you have made for them. It's just beautiful and I also really like the little torty butt picture in the hide. Priceless. :D :p

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
jackiedots said:
Hi Kate
I bought them about 3 weeks ago, cut off all of the existing flowers, weathered them outside and changed the soil. I was told this would be ok. I now have a lot of pansie seeds planted plus lots of containers of other seeds that I bought especially for tortoises. I have spent the last 30 years of my life pulling up dandelions from my garden.........now I am growing them especially !!!! lol

Jackie

Who said that would be ok? In my opinion, not so much. The chemicals they use are systemic so even with cutting off everything and using new soil, it is in the whole plant. I would have let it sit for 3-6 months. If they have already eaten a bunch, not much you can do about it, and I am sure there are bigger worries in life, but thought I would chime in with my opinion. That is great you have a garden for them! I'm not so lucky yet. Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.