New Cherry Head, could you guys check him out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tertle

5 Year Member
I think theres something going on with his plastron, maybe the beginning of shell rot or maybe its just shedding... I just got the little guy let me know what y'all think! he's been eating fine, active, pooping, everything else fine.. I'm making sure his substrate and environment is humid enough.. Should i treat the plastron at all?

RALPH6.jpg

RALPH5.jpg

RALPH4.jpg
RALPH2.jpg

RALPH1.jpg

RALPH3.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, shedding doesn't look like that. And, besides that, tortoises don't usually shed shell, just skin.

Looks like a bit of shell rot or fungus going on. Treat with foot fungus cream.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Those light-colored dots look like the beginnings of contact rot. Pick up some betadine iodine and dilute it down to 1 part iodine to 10 parts water. Give it a light scrub with the cleanser, no need to really bear down here, just use a soft-bristled toothbrush and go lightly over the affected regions. Do this for one or two days and apply an antifungal cream (active ingredient = clotrimenazole) for 7-10 days. If its not clearing up after that, try an antibacterial cream. Looks very minor and should clear up quickly.

I don't know how long you've had this tortoise, so maybe it came with this minor rot forming. Otherwise you may consider the substrate conditions to avoid future relapses. If its constantly wet you'll likely get more forming.

tertle

5 Year Member
Thank you for the info guys, I've only had him/her for a couple days, i will pickup some betadine iodine and antifungal cream....(i'm gonna google where to get those, but where do you guys get yours, never heard of either before in my life lol)

I have about 4-6 inches of cyprus mulch with scattered forest moss all around.. I've been keeping it so that the bottom layers are very damp but not flooded, and the surface layers are just moist. my humidity is pretty high all day so should i keep the substrate drier for a week?

So to treat,after a morning soak I should scrub with the betadine solution for a few mins. Do this for 2 days, then 7-10 days after that i should stop the betadine and just apply anti fungal cream once a day light coat?

and one more thing which I can't believe i didn't bring up before, I have another Cherry head in the same enclosure who is visually 100% healthy, same size but obtained from a different place. The enclosure was made last week, and the two tortoises are new additions.

Should i be worried the healthy one is going to get the same shell stuff?

I took more pics so you guys could analyze it better..

shell4.jpg

shell3.jpg

shell2.jpg

shell.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.