Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I took in some new Calif. desert tortoises this afternoon. Five young ones from 1 year to 3 yrs and one adult female. The female is large and was burying a nest when I went out to take their pictures. Adoptions only in my area please - Central California - because I have to do a yard inspection and I can't afford to drive too far.

100_1134.jpg

100_1131.jpg

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Oh Yvonne I wish I had an huge backyard because I would love to have another DT. They are awesome. I can't tell you how much I enjoy having Fernando he is a character. I'm sure he would love to have a date with your female though. :D :p How old are the babies? It's hard to tell from the picture how big they are. I hope you find good homes for them. :)

turtletania

5 Year Member
again..... i find myself wishing I lived in the US...... can an expat live there without work????? LOL

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Candy said:
How old are the babies? It's hard to tell from the picture how big they are. I hope you find good homes for them. :)

I adopted the female to this guy about 4 years ago and she laid two clutches of eggs every year since for him. He kept one baby from each clutch every year, so the oldest two are 3, then 2, then 1. He had two females and one male, however he lost one of the females and the male. He thinks its because his neighbor sprays toxic chemicals on his landscape. Rather than lose the rest of the tortoises, he's giving them up to save them. This is a size comparison with the smallest one:

100_1133.jpg

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
turtletania said:
again..... i find myself wishing I lived in the US...... can an expat live there without work????? LOL

soon our President will be signing an executive order to give amnesty to all illegal immigrants, so get in while you can, then POOF!!! you are legal!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Laura said:
I wish I could take them.. or just her.. to give her a home with No boys!!

Now why would you take away her fun like that? lol :D

emysemys said:
Candy said:
How old are the babies? It's hard to tell from the picture how big they are. I hope you find good homes for them. :)

I adopted the female to this guy about 4 years ago and she laid two clutches of eggs every year since for him. He kept one baby from each clutch every year, so the oldest two are 3, then 2, then 1. He had two females and one male, however he lost one of the females and the male. He thinks its because his neighbor sprays toxic chemicals on his landscape. Rather than lose the rest of the tortoises, he's giving them up to save them. This is a size comparison with the smallest one:

100_1133.jpg

I want that one Yvonne. :D How cute is that? Just precious. I almost wish now that I had Fernando when he was younger so I could have watched him grow up. :(

M

Maggie Cummings

I spent a number of years head starting babies for my sister and I can tell you that they are shy at first, but they have just as big a personality as Sulcata and they are easier to care for. They are by far my favorite species and if anyone is looking for a tortoise here's your chance to get a very special animal. I would love to have an adult, a very outgoing personality and you don't have to spend a billion dollars on a yard for them (see Bob's fence) :D

chadk

10 Year Member!
Hopfully it was something like being poisoned by the neighbor and not some kind of pathogen that could spread to other torts :(

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
spikethebest said:
turtletania said:

soon our President will be signing an executive order to give amnesty to all illegal immigrants, so get in while you can, then POOF!!! you are legal!

That is not going to happen Cory. That would be political suicide.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The adult female (mother of the others) has found a new home with one of our forum members. I'm sure the babies will go soon. I just have to get out my list and start making some calls.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Glad to hear that Yvonne. It must be a lot on you to take in so many tortoises all at once like that. Thank goodness for people like you who have so much love for these animals and can find them good homes to go to. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.