New BIG indoor enclosure that looks good in the living room

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
I just made a new big enclosure for my greek I wanted to share. I have been planing this enclosure for a while. I wanted to make something big that looked good in the house and at the same time not use too much money.

I ended up with an enclosure 67 inches long, 28 inches wides and 12 inches high. I bought a used book shelf with glass sides. I then took off the glass doors, waterproofed the bottom with first silicon and then a plastic sheet.

I now use two lights a 160W powersun mvb and a reptigo 5.0 tube. The humidity and temps are good and easy to maintain.

Attachments

• DSC_0346.JPG
    DSC_0346.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 555

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
That looks great, I use a Vivariam that looks very similiar to that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks really nice. Except one thing. You don't have it centered on the table that it is sitting on:p :D that's just one of my hang ups :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Same thing for me, Barb. That really offends my sense of symmetry!...or as my sister says, "...my sense of cemetaries!"

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
wellington said:
Looks really nice. Except one thing. You don't have it centered on the table that it is sitting on:p :D that's just one of my hang ups :D

Haha, I had to sacrifice symmetry due to the zoomed light stand. Good point though :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Haha, I thought the same thing - is the right sticking out more than the left? The devil is in the details ladies are in the house!

Love it and I hope your little Greekster does too. If you want to add a little grazing lawn of sorts, I took a square bread baking pan, punched a few holes for drainage, added organic soil and sprinkled "cat grass" (which is either oat or barley or wheat seeds depending on your source), got seeds at Target actually. In a few days, up pops the "grass" and your little one has a grazing area. If you have a second pan, you can grow one pan outside of your enclosure and then just rotate in as gets eatern. Or try a seed mix for tortoises and do a weedy lawn. Good job on the new enclosure. Rocks!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I think that piece was originally made as a curio cabinet or display cabinet.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
russianhenry said:
Where did you find the bookcase?

I got the bookcase\displaycase for free from a neighbor that didn't need it anymore. Lucky!

TortTopper

5 Year Member
I really like how it fits in with the house and doesn't look strange. Good job!

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
gtc said:
russianhenry said:
Where did you find the bookcase?

I got the bookcase\displaycase for free from a neighbor that didn't need it anymore. Lucky!

That is...almost for free. About $20

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
It looks great!! I've been looking for a bookcase on craigslist...hoping to find a good one!
If you find your tortoise is bothered by the glass sides, you might have to cover them. My tortoise is constantly trying to climb out, and I know he would just dig incessantly at glass. Hopefully your tort is a little more content than my silly guy!

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
ChiKat said:
It looks great!! I've been looking for a bookcase on craigslist...hoping to find a good one!
If you find your tortoise is bothered by the glass sides, you might have to cover them. My tortoise is constantly trying to climb out, and I know he would just dig incessantly at glass. Hopefully your tort is a little more content than my silly guy!

Mine has luckily never tried to climb out or walk through the glass. He knows the glass is a wall even though he can see through it. Sometimes he will look at and study us for a while though. That's why I like glass. Not only can we look at our tort from anywhere in the living room but he can also watch us. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.