New baby

Court562

hello all. I just received an 8 month old P. P. Lepord tortoise from Fedex. She was in shipment for 17 hours. I opened the box and immediately placed her in the heat as she was slightly cold. The breeder was feeding her green leaf and Mazuri. I have offered both, but she's just been exploring. What can I do for her to ensure she's no longer stressed, and feels comfortable? Her temp currently is 109, with 33% humidity. I'm still building her environment so it holds humidity better. My main concern currently is not long term, just what should I do in the first few hours/ days.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28

Court562

Also she's placed on Eco Earth compressed coconut fiber thanks been soaked then slightly dried.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
That's too hot for an overall temperature, and I don't see a water dish in there. First thing to do with a baby that's been in transit that long is to give them a nice long soak in warm water (90F warm, not 110F warm). Then put a shallow dish, like a terra cotta saucer, in the enclosure and fill it with water so it's always available.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would actually make an over all temp of 80F and humidity of 80%. Basking is 90-100
You also don't need to dry the coconut coir. You need it to be wet with warm water to get the humidity up.
Please read the card sheets in the leopard section. Some are below in my post. They are Tom's threads. The sulcata care is the same

JHat

Deer Park, TX
I would point the "heat" light straight down so your tortoise can get cool if it needs to.You can add a tube UVB light across the top to light up the enclosure. And water dishes are essential.

Court562

I turned off the heat light and now the temps reading 88 with 69 humidity. Only light on is UVB. Must be due to the heatwave and my insulation I created around her cage. What do you guys think? The pizza box is temporary just so she can hide. From what I understand they are shy and need time to adjust.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She's got a lot of pyramiding already, which means she was kept very dry before you got her. Get the humidity up to at least 80% so you can get the pyramiding to stop and new growth to grow in smooth. Give warm water soaks every day for about 20-30 minutes. They aren't really all that shy. if handled during soaking and maybe another time each day, they become less shy and will eventually come right up to you. Well some will, some will always stay a little standoffish.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
95 is just the basking spot, correct? If it's the over all temp, it needs to come down to 80-85, I prefer 80 and that's with a humidity of 80% day and night.

Court562

It's 93, with 80% humidity. I soaked her for 40 minutes in warm water. She's just nibbled on her food but no real meal yet. I'll turn off my night lamp to get the temp lower. How much should I expect her to eat today and tomorrow? He told me she eats anything and lots of it. Yes she does have pyramids starting and would prefer her not too.