New Baby Turtle is home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann Thompson

5 Year Member
View attachment 30619My little Ornate arrived this morning at 9 a.m. He has inspected his new enclosure, took two nice long swims in the pool, and is currently dug under the basking long having a rest. Will be building an outdoor enclosure in the summer but for now this little guy (about the size of a 50 cent piece) will winter in the tank.

So Happy:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
WELL...where are the pictures? You can't post about a new baby and not bring on the pictures! Its a rule!! :D

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Ooo i agree.. i want pics! Congratulations on the new baby

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Congrats Ann...I always keep my hatchlings in a planted vivarium. I like the glass tank the best for hatchlings as they keep the humidity up. I usually keep them in the viv until they are two or three and then they go outside. OK...lets see some pictures now.

Ann Thompson

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
WELL...where are the pictures? You can't post about a new baby and not bring on the pictures! Its a rule!! :D

These are a little out of focus but here he is:

Turtle004_zps85cee038.jpg

Turtle003_zps88849c2f.jpg

He eat two tiny crickets today that was all he would do -- tried some other food but since its his first full day atleast he ate something.:)

terryo said:
Congrats Ann...I always keep my hatchlings in a planted vivarium. I like the glass tank the best for hatchlings as they keep the humidity up. I usually keep them in the viv until they are two or three and then they go outside. OK...lets see some pictures now.

Thats good to know I wasn't sure how fast they actually outgrow a tank right now he likes to dig and hide under his log a lot but he comes out occasionally.

I do have a question should we uncover him to make sure he eats or just leave him dug in - since he is a baby we wanted to make sure he took a swim and had some food and was doing okay but not sure its good to take him up from his hole? He does go right back to his burrow after walking around some but thinking while he is this small needs to be monitored to ensure he eats and gets water?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I dig mine up every day or two, soak them and then feed. I like to keep tabs on them when they're little.

Ann Thompson said:
emysemys said:

These are a little out of focus but here he is:

Turtle004_zps85cee038.jpg

Turtle003_zps88849c2f.jpg

He eat two tiny crickets today that was all he would do -- tried some other food but since its his first full day atleast he ate something.:)

terryo said:

Thats good to know I wasn't sure how fast they actually outgrow a tank right now he likes to dig and hide under his log a lot but he comes out occasionally.

I do have a question should we uncover him to make sure he eats or just leave him dug in - since he is a baby we wanted to make sure he took a swim and had some food and was doing okay but not sure its good to take him up from his hole? He does go right back to his burrow after walking around some but thinking while he is this small needs to be monitored to ensure he eats and gets water?

Status
Not open for further replies.