New baby painted

tortoise_man2

My friend is giving me a baby painted turtle that he found near a major highway by his house. I have never been successful in keeping baby turtles so i am going to need a lot of help...

We are installing a pond in the backyard though and i figure if i stock it with fish it should be fine...

All help is appreciated :|

tortoise_man2

Well i personally think it is a painted from the pic but my friend thinks it is a map... Neither of us have seen it though. Lol

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Too far away but looks like a painted. I personally have had success keeping baby turtles indoors. You'll need a heater(76-80degreesF), a basking area with a mercury vapor bulb or seperate UVA and UVB bulbs. Make sure to have plenty of plants so it can rest. You will also need a filter, preferably 2-3 times the capacity of the tank(at least 10 gallons). Also remember they are mostly carnivorous at this point so mainly animal products. Still offer plants but they won't be attracted right away. You can use mazuri turtle food as a staple. Good luck and enjoy!

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
You should be very careful with the turtle in that small dish that can overheat very quickly outside in such a small container. Consider moving it inside or in part shade for now until you have a permanent enclosure

tortoise_man2

Thanks for the replies and advice!

KevinGG, thank you, but it is considerably cool where the turtle is right now and this turtle as i said is not with me yet...

He is at my friend's grandma's house