New Baby NA Spotted Turtles- The Arrival!

SeverusBites

Location (City and/or State)
KS
Hello,

I posted on here in the wanted section about where to get NA spotted turtles. I got some good ideas, but ultimately I found what I wanted through a Kingsnake.com ad. Found a good breeder with a few of last year's hatchlings left. This was really cool, since I want to start a breeding group, and these guys are already a little bit older. I plan to get some more hatchlings this year, but for now, here are my newest additions!

For now, the new turtles get to take over an existing 20 long. I pulled the water down halfway, turtle-proofed the intake and return, and placed a basking stone supported by some driftwood.
IMG_20220505_183229.jpg

These pics are all terrible since there is so much light and so many white reflections, but these should serve to show the lay of the land.
IMG_20220505_183238.jpg

And here are the main attractions- Right now they are known as the "Bigger one" and "Smaller one" but my wife will eventually name them. This is Biggs.
IMG_20220505_181209.jpg

He's usually not too hard to find.
IMG_20220505_181241.jpg

This is Smalls. This one was more retiring at first, hard to get a good angle on. This one is good at hiding, and gave me quite a fright when I couldn't find him back there for a minute.
IMG_20220505_183445.jpg

I'm a grown man, and I haven't had this much of a "new puppy" feeling in a while. How wonderful they are. I was still surprised by how small. . . How small must neonates be?
IMG_20220505_183349.jpg

I'm totally stoked to add these to my miniature kaiju collection.
IMG_20220505_183556.jpg

Exhibiting his ninja stealth.
IMG_20220505_183759.jpg

Smalls still being a bit shy. I'm glad to report that 2 days in they seem pretty comfortable in the open.
IMG_20220505_184007.jpg

It's cool how the essentially seem to be like someone mixed a box turtle with a slider turtle, and this is what you got. Anyway, it's a very cool turtle. I expect that along with scarcity combine to set the price these guys command. I'm fortunate that now I can afford to support these little guys.
IMG_20220505_184023.jpg

To be honest, I'm hoping these guys are actually gals. I don't know yet. I plan to get several more hatchlings, and see what sexes turn up in a few years. I feel that I can easily sell off excess males and eventually end up with a 1.4 group as the breeder does himself.
IMG_20220505_184142.jpg

The basking area is about 90f at the waterline and 105 at the highest point of the slate. I haven't ever seen them there, they like to hide under the slate or in the plants. The water is 75f from an inline heater, Fluval 306 plumbed up from the bottom of the tank.
IMG_20220505_184113.jpg

And by the way, this is the one who bites.
IMG_20220505_184310.jpg

Thanks for looking. I look forward to posting more about developing their habitat and its eventual expansion.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Hello,

I posted on here in the wanted section about where to get NA spotted turtles. I got some good ideas, but ultimately I found what I wanted through a Kingsnake.com ad. Found a good breeder with a few of last year's hatchlings left. This was really cool, since I want to start a breeding group, and these guys are already a little bit older. I plan to get some more hatchlings this year, but for now, here are my newest additions!

For now, the new turtles get to take over an existing 20 long. I pulled the water down halfway, turtle-proofed the intake and return, and placed a basking stone supported by some driftwood.
View attachment 344278

These pics are all terrible since there is so much light and so many white reflections, but these should serve to show the lay of the land.
View attachment 344279

And here are the main attractions- Right now they are known as the "Bigger one" and "Smaller one" but my wife will eventually name them. This is Biggs.
View attachment 344280

He's usually not too hard to find.
View attachment 344297

This is Smalls. This one was more retiring at first, hard to get a good angle on. This one is good at hiding, and gave me quite a fright when I couldn't find him back there for a minute.
View attachment 344298

I'm a grown man, and I haven't had this much of a "new puppy" feeling in a while. How wonderful they are. I was still surprised by how small. . . How small must neonates be?
View attachment 344299

I'm totally stoked to add these to my miniature kaiju collection.
View attachment 344300

Exhibiting his ninja stealth.
View attachment 344301

Smalls still being a bit shy. I'm glad to report that 2 days in they seem pretty comfortable in the open.
View attachment 344302

It's cool how the essentially seem to be like someone mixed a box turtle with a slider turtle, and this is what you got. Anyway, it's a very cool turtle. I expect that along with scarcity combine to set the price these guys command. I'm fortunate that now I can afford to support these little guys.
View attachment 344303

To be honest, I'm hoping these guys are actually gals. I don't know yet. I plan to get several more hatchlings, and see what sexes turn up in a few years. I feel that I can easily sell off excess males and eventually end up with a 1.4 group as the breeder does himself.
View attachment 344304

The basking area is about 90f at the waterline and 105 at the highest point of the slate. I haven't ever seen them there, they like to hide under the slate or in the plants. The water is 75f from an inline heater, Fluval 306 plumbed up from the bottom of the tank.
View attachment 344305

And by the way, this is the one who bites.
View attachment 344306

Thanks for looking. I look forward to posting more about developing their habitat and its eventual expansion.
Looks amazing. Very jealous, congrats.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Ah man, that is so cool! I LOVE those turtles and yours looks great! Fantastic pics, thanks.........I want one of them so badly.......them and diamondback terrapins are the coolest looking turtles.

Thanks again for posting!

SeverusBites

KS
Looks amazing. Very jealous, congrats.
Thank you, very nice to say. I saw your reply on the other thread as well. . . I wish I could find a forum that had some good traffic, but it seems that the few that are left are mainly populated by a small group of online friends that keep the place alive. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but if they don't happen to be interested in the things you're interested in, it leaves you with little outlet for what you want to share about your hobby.

Which is all to say, I especially appreciate your response, thank you!

SeverusBites

KS
Ah man, that is so cool! I LOVE those turtles and yours looks great! Fantastic pics, thanks.........I want one of them so badly.......them and diamondback terrapins are the coolest looking turtles.

Thanks again for posting!
Hey, thanks, man, I super appreciate it. I love these guys as well, just treating them the best I can. I also think diamondbacks are a really cool turtle, I'm from the East Coast but further south than they occur.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
One of the guys here has, in his words; "a colony" of Spotted's and posted a pic a while back, outdoors, boggy and beautiful enclosure with a bunch of them crawling around...it was great!

And don't worry about "clicks" here, none of us here are friends................LOL

Pistachio's Pamperer

Tri-cities, Tennessee

Here is a thread.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
They are wonderful and should be happy in that setup!
Is Severus a snapping turtle? Don't know much about them, just love how they look!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I hope you continue to be captivated by them. I love my two little giys.

SeverusBites

KS
They are wonderful and should be happy in that setup!
Is Severus a snapping turtle? Don't know much about them, just love how they look!
Thank you! Severus is a common snapper, yes. He's not to personable, but is very active and interesting pet, and super cool to look at.