New Ablabra Pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipdog

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbus Ohio
Well I moved to a house that has a yard now so I had to section off an area for the torts. I wanted to do something other the cinder blocks so I tried out PVC fence boards. Seemed to work out well. If they do give me any trouble I can always sink in some rebar to anchor it down. Seems to keep them in great so far.

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

PS yeah they do like to direct tv dish ;)

annsimpson

5 Year Member
Kent
looks lovely, I always like your american houses you seem to have so much more space than us but don't you worry about the torts digging under your house or is that blocked off, it looks like a gap from the photos?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The fencing is beautiful! I love that PVC stuff...always looks so clean. I don't think they're going to try to push the limits. Mine have never offered to either dig or climb. Their only bad habit is smooshing around in the puddles when I water the pasture. I hate that! It makes big holey messes in the nice smooth dirt. And your babies are growing so fast. How much to they weigh now?

Yvonne

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for posting photos. It looks fantastic. Great idea using the PVC fencing - may I ask what type of store/supply you got it from? Is it something I could pick up at Lowe's or Home Depot or is it a specialty item? Your aldabras are beautiful.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Very nice enclosure Chipdog. I thinking that you got their hide and the water fall at Costco? Your backyard looks beautiful also. I wish I didn't have any predators so Dale could just be put in an open enclosure like yours.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I am sooooo jealous! They are beautiful! I have seen better Aldabras on this site, than I have seen in every zoo I have been to! Yours are so smooth...and obviously sweet tempered, they don't look shy at all!

It a neat thing, because after said zoo visit, I can lean over and whisper, "I know people who have those as pets!"

Good job! Have you ever tried putting large rocks in there for sight barriers? I am guessing they just eat, or trample plants....

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Cool! Your torts live a luxury life with tortoise satellite TV and all ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think that is a pretty awesome looking pen, but will it suit them as they get older? don't they get pretty big?

Chipdog

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Columbus Ohio
Thanks for all the nice comments.
Lets see if I can answer all the questions so far.
The fencing does go right up to the house and they haven't dug anything yet. Aldabs tend not to be diggers.
I got the fence boards at Lowes. I know I got the fountain there and I think I got the box there too.
They are getting big fast. The one I think is a female is 12 pounds and 11.5 inches now and the possible male is up to 19 pounds and 13.5 inches.
I'd say that's a good jump from the 7.8 lbs 11 inches and 11.5 lbs and 12 inches 8 months ago.
That pen will do them in size for a while and the cool thing about it is I can add to it without much work and since I rent it can come with me to the next place.

Thanks again
Chip

IMG00349.jpg

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Chip, do they go into that fountain? How deep is it? Do you have to drain it to clean it. Your yard looks great, and it's funny we have the dish and pole in our tort pen also!
Na

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You are so lucky to have all that space. What a great enclosure that is. I was wondering the same thing about the fountain. Do they go in or just take a drink?

Chipdog

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Columbus Ohio
The fountain is only 6 inches deep and not so big around so they just drink from it. I will drop a pump in every once and a while to clean it out. As for swimming I have a kiddie pool that I will fill up for them every other week or so for them to get a soak.

Status
Not open for further replies.