New 6month old leopard tortoise isn't eating.

porplefrogs

Location (City and/or State)
California
I am new to reptiles, and I recently purchased a leopard tortoise from a breeder, and it seems decently active and healthy. However, it isn't eating the greens and hibiscus that I set out for it. It's been three days, is this normal? Could it be that it doesn't like the food that I put out?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We will need more info.
Enclosure size and type, open table or enclosed chamber?
Temps, all over, basking and night?
Humidity?
Post picture of enclosure
If all above is actually correct, then it's likely being moved from one home to a new home.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! We just need more information, as Wellington said, so we can help you better.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello - it is perfectly normal for a tortoise to be reluctant to eat or come out of its hide for quite a long time - weeks, even. It takes a while for it to feel safe in a new place. If you carry on putting fresh food out for it each day, it will soon understand you mean well. A tortoise can go for a long time without food - keep giving him fresh water too.
Angie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am new to reptiles, and I recently purchased a leopard tortoise from a breeder, and it seems decently active and healthy. However, it isn't eating the greens and hibiscus that I set out for it. It's been three days, is this normal? Could it be that it doesn't like the food that I put out?
Not normal for a baby leopard to remain hidden and not eat for three days. Something is wrong and needs to be fixed ASAP.

Start here and look for the leopard care sheet at the bottom:

porplefrogs

California
Hi and welcome! We just need more information, as Wellington said, so we can help you better.

This is his enclosure I put together for him about three days ago, he seems to just stay on the side with his hide, and doesn't seem interested in anything I want to feed him. (Includes weeds, lettuce, hibiscus, Mazuri LS, flukers tortoise food, and grasses.) I live in SoCal so the temperatures are around 70-85ish in the day and in the night may drop to around 65. I added sphagnum moss yesterday and mist it every couple of hours. In his/her diet I tried to include cuttlefish bone and cuttlefish bone as a powder, but he always seems uninterested. Anything I could do? Is this normal?

Sorry for the late response, thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_5050.jpeg
    IMG_5050.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is his enclosure I put together for him about three days ago, he seems to just stay on the side with his hide, and doesn't seem interested in anything I want to feed him. (Includes weeds, lettuce, hibiscus, Mazuri LS, flukers tortoise food, and grasses.) I live in SoCal so the temperatures are around 70-85ish in the day and in the night may drop to around 65. I added sphagnum moss yesterday and mist it every couple of hours. In his/her diet I tried to include cuttlefish bone and cuttlefish bone as a powder, but he always seems uninterested. Anything I could do? Is this normal?

Sorry for the late response, thank you in advance.
Remove the moss, it's an entanglement hazard both inside his body and outside.
The temps at night should not drop below 80. Day temps also 80 with a 95-100 basking.
Is he housed outside? He should be housed inside in a closed chamber with only short trips outside until he is around 8 inches then he can live outside.
Humidity needs to be 80%
Make needed changes ASAP.

porplefrogs

California
Thank you for the response: Should I remove the moss even in its hide? I've removed the moss outside.
Yes, the tortoise is housed outside, but I will put him inside with me to monitor his temperatures.
Is there any cheap way to make an enclosed chamber? I'm currently using a 20.9 gallon mixing tub.
I've also got a UVB and heat dual bulb I found off of amazon, and am wondering if this is the best choice for it. It has choices between 25w and 50w.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the response: Should I remove the moss even in its hide? I've removed the moss outside.
Yes, the tortoise is housed outside, but I will put him inside with me to monitor his temperatures.
Is there any cheap way to make an enclosed chamber? I'm currently using a 20.9 gallon mixing tub.
I've also got a UVB and heat dual bulb I found off of amazon, and am wondering if this is the best choice for it. It has choices between 25w and 50w.
Moss is an impaction hazard and should not be used with tortoises. Remove all of it ASAP.

Babies do not do well outside. Move it inside and warm it up ASAP.

You can get a plastic indoor greenhouse to make a closed chamber, but you need a MUCH larger enclosure.

That is the wrong bulb. There are four elements to heating and lighting.

Whoever told you to use the tortoise this way has given you all sorts of bad advice. If you want this little one to survive, please please please read and follow the info that I previously linked for you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need a tube florescent uvb or bring him outside 3 or 4 times a week for only 30 minutes each time
An incandescent flood bulb for basking and a che for added heat when needed
Get a 3x8 pop up green house and it will last until he can live outside.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Look for ones like this pictured. You can hang lights and heat from the frame.
Use a tarp to put under substrate
Screenshot_20230822-120308.pngScreenshot_20230822-201711.png

porplefrogs

California
Understood, thank you so so much. Do you have any advice for the tortoise's wellbeing like how I can manage its stress level and about when it will warm up to me?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Your patience and your following all the advice give will pay off soon enough. Beautiful little tortoise!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Understood, thank you so so much. Do you have any advice for the tortoise's wellbeing like how I can manage its stress level and about when it will warm up to me?
Giving the proper care, diet, temps, humidity, hydration, and enclosure size, will give it what it needs to not be stressed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises are not usually an interactive pet that show interest or affection. In time they learn who the food comes from and seek that out, and some species seem to get bold and curious with age, but leopards usually are not one of those. All species are timid as babies, but most seem to relax a bit around 3-4 years of age.