Never heard of brumation, think my Russian has begun it and don't know what to do.

linoleum

Location (City and/or State)
Portland
Help! I've has my Russian about 3 or 4 years, the shop said she was 5 years when we got him. My daughter got her for me for mother's day and I've really grown to love her. Her name is Morla. I'm worried that her substrate is too dry for brumation. Is it inhumane to forcefully wake them up and pull them out of the burrow? She resists with all her might when I try to pull her out.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Please provide your enclosure details and post pictures if possible. We need to know basking Temps as well as ambient temps.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pet shops are notorious for giving the wrong age on the russian tortoises they sell. There's a national rule for selling turtles and tortoises called the 4" rule. Pet stores can't legally sell turtles and tortoises until the animal reaches 4" in a straight line from front to back.

Since the Russian tortoise is a small species, by the time he reaches the legal 4" size, he's already about 5 or 6 years old, maybe older. Your pet store russian tortoise is probably a wild caught animal, and more than likely is about 8 or 10 years of age.

It's hard to keep a wild caught Russian tortoise from brumating. You have to make sure his lights are on for 14 hours or more a day, and that his enclosure temperatures stay in the summertime mode. Disturb him every time you walk past the enclosure - place him in front of the food, pick him up and talk to him, rub his head and shell, etc. But if none of this works, you may have to give him a two or three week brumation and just leave him alone for that time in a cooler enclosure with no lights. After three weeks or so you can slowly 'wake' him up, soak him, and give him back the summertime heat and lights.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Pet shops are notorious for giving the wrong age on the russian tortoises they sell. There's a national rule for selling turtles and tortoises called the 4" rule. Pet stores can't legally sell turtles and tortoises until the animal reaches 4" in a straight line from front to back.

Since the Russian tortoise is a small species, by the time he reaches the legal 4" size, he's already about 5 or 6 years old, maybe older. Your pet store russian tortoise is probably a wild caught animal, and more than likely is about 8 or 10 years of age.

It's hard to keep a wild caught Russian tortoise from brumating. You have to make sure his lights are on for 14 hours or more a day, and that his enclosure temperatures stay in the summertime mode. Disturb him every time you walk past the enclosure - place him in front of the food, pick him up and talk to him, rub his head and shell, etc. But if none of this works, you may have to give him a two or three week brumation and just leave him alone for that time in a cooler enclosure with no lights. After three weeks or so you can slowly 'wake' him up, soak him, and give him back the summertime heat and lights.
? That's what I do with Sapphire. I'll let him just slow down but I bring him out and sit him by food at the least . Maybe a bath do his light as usual... That kinda stuff. He doesn't really mind it and eventually he becomes more active. And then stays pretty active. This year he tried to sleep around November. He's becoming a bit more active now. Eating really good.etc...I just actually take care of him the same way everyday whether he likes it or not.?