Brumation Plan and Questions

jharrris

Location (City and/or State)
Greenville
Hello! I'm planning to brumate my adult Russian for the first time.

So, I've been soaking daily and feeding a lot, which I plan to do until the end of October. Then, start fasting her at the beginning of November, at normal temps. For the last two weeks of November, I'm guessing I should lower temps and light duration. I currently have her light on for 12 hours. How long should I change that to? And I plan on getting an adjustable light holder that I can use to place the light higher to lower the temps. But I'm wondering at what sort of intervals I should do that at. Like, raise it just a little bit each day until December? Or raise it (and lower light duration) a decent amount for a week, then raise it higher for the last week of November, then start the brumation in December?

Lastly, I think I'll put her in a shoebox with substrate and put it in the fridge for January and February. I just checked the temperatures in the fridge with my infrared thermometer. Different sections had different temps, but I found a 39 degree spot. I'll check it in the time leading up to brumation to make sure it's consistent. Once she's in there, I assume I just leave her alone? I'll continue to check temps.

At the beginning of February I'll try to wake her up. How do you bring a Russian out of brumation with the fridge method?

This is a lot to ask I know, so I really appreciate it!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I'm planning to brumate my adult Russian for the first time.

So, I've been soaking daily and feeding a lot, which I plan to do until the end of October. Then, start fasting her at the beginning of November, at normal temps. For the last two weeks of November, I'm guessing I should lower temps and light duration. I currently have her light on for 12 hours. How long should I change that to? And I plan on getting an adjustable light holder that I can use to place the light higher to lower the temps. But I'm wondering at what sort of intervals I should do that at. Like, raise it just a little bit each day until December? Or raise it (and lower light duration) a decent amount for a week, then raise it higher for the last week of November, then start the brumation in December?

Lastly, I think I'll put her in a shoebox with substrate and put it in the fridge for January and February. I just checked the temperatures in the fridge with my infrared thermometer. Different sections had different temps, but I found a 39 degree spot. I'll check it in the time leading up to brumation to make sure it's consistent. Once she's in there, I assume I just leave her alone? I'll continue to check temps.

At the beginning of February I'll try to wake her up. How do you bring a Russian out of brumation with the fridge method?

This is a lot to ask I know, so I really appreciate it!
All of this is explained here:

jharrris

Greenville
T
All of this is explained here:
Thank you, sorry!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
T

Thank you, sorry!
No apology needed here. I'm happy to help. Please always feel free to ask questions. If you still have questions that aren't covered in the thread, or you just want clarification, please please ask us.