Nesting Marginated tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Happened to be home during the holidays as one of my Marginateds was nesting. Thought it might be of some interest.
DSC01404.jpg

DSC01408.jpg

DSC01409.jpg

DSC01412.jpg

DSC01413.jpg

DSC01415.jpg

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Very cool! Thanks for sharing :)

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Gary,

Did you remove her for the final photo of the eggs or did she abandon the nest? If you removed her, did you remove the eggs or put her back to fill in?

I'm never sure what to do, but feel best when she fills in by her self and walks away. Then I grab the eggs when she's not looking.

Is three eggs typical for her and her type? She looks huge.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
bettinge said:
Gary,

Did you remove her for the final photo of the eggs or did she abandon the nest? If you removed her, did you remove the eggs or put her back to fill in?

I'm never sure what to do, but feel best when she fills in by her self and walks away. Then I grab the eggs when she's not looking.

Is three eggs typical for her and her type? She looks huge.
I let them complete their nest (cover it) and walk away. Then I go back and dig up the eggs, whether this takes place indoors or outdoors. I prefer not to interfere until they are completely done and walk away.

She's actually a smaller female for a Marginated, about 9" SCL. My largest female is about 11.5" which is more the average size. She actually laid 4 eggs, but one was crushed either when she deposited one on top of it or when she filled in the nest cavity. She will typically lay 4-6 eggs per clutch. My largest female lays an average of 6-8 eggs per clutch. Most of my Marginateds lay 2 or 3 clutches per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.