Earthworm or tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We've gotten a kick out of watching our Greek tortoises and their nesting box. First we put a box in since we thought one of the ladies might be wanting to dig. As soon as we put it in, there was a swarm of big Greek ladies. You can see the immediate problem as we saw it.
20090215_2731.jpg

So we got a "big lady box". We wrapped the lid of the box with a rubber bath mat so the torts could get traction on it.
20090216_2697.jpg

One day, we were concerned when the cage appeared to be one tortoise short. Then upon closer inspection we noticed something in the sand. Can you see it? There are 2 tortoises in the box.
20090225_2625.jpg

Here is a closeup.
20090225_2624.jpg

Now, one of the ladies loves the new box so much we only see her about twice a week. She digs out to eat and drink and then burrows down. She reminds us of an earthworm that only surfaces when it rains.
20090216_2699.jpg

Oh and by the way, we've seen no sign of true nesting yet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Aren't they funny? They're not nearly as primitive or "non-thinking" as we'd like to believe. Just give them something new to explore and away they go!!

Yvonne

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Boy , those Greeks have a cute face!!! Or should I say that Greek lady!!!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Love the picture of them all crowded in. "Move over, no you move over!"

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
I think they found the substrate of choice for them. :p See if you listen they do talk.

Dawna

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Too cute, your Greek ladies are so smart :). I really like the first picture when they are all in the box :D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Great pictures Tim & Robin :) Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah the fun of having Greeks :p

Danny

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Maybe she's trying to take the easy way out of nesting. Instead of going through the labor of laying eggs, she's decided to just bury herself and let them hatch inside of her :)

TheTortbaby

5 Year Member
Nice idea i myself am planning on breeding next year. But with russian torts.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Tim/Robin, Great pics. I too love the one where they are all trying to get into the box. I don't know about your Greeks but mine hate to be able to see out of their enclosure (I know it is fun to be able to see them but putting up about a 4inch visual barrier might help them and the Aspen (?) in the enclosure looks pretty shallow (just because I have found mine love to dig in and cover themselves in it so I have it deep enough for them to do that. Nothing more fun than to see them start to peek out in the morning looking for breakfast. That may be why they all wanted to try and dig in and hide. :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I switched from coconut coir & sand to shredded aspen for a number of reasons, and found that I was still able to satisfy my little russian's love for burrowing and digging by making it about 6-8 inches deep (I vary it throughout so he also has some terrain to climb). The only thing the substrate isn't able to match the coconut coir & sand with is humidity. He loves digging in it, it stays warmer for him, doesn't stick to his head/neck, it's cheap (I buy by the 45 lb bag), and easy to change out.

Glad to see your torts having so much fun!

We also play find the tort at my house since he burrows to sleep and we usually can't find him if he strays from the usual spot by the heat emitter. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D What a bunch of kids. :D nice pictures...as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.