Nepenthes Ventrata: The Perfect Plant For The Perfect Enclosure

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon Coast
So I got a carnivorous plant a while back
( a Nepenthes Ventrata ) and hung the thing over Artemis's tortoise table. I had another veriety that cost a lot more money..... I'll try and remember what it was called. Siberiensis (?) Oh well, whatever. The thing is one of those pitcher plants that produce cool cups that hang down from long stems and resemble small toilets!!!
Well they only grow in perfectly humid conditions, and only grow new traps if it's nice and humid. Otherwise if it gets dry, it just halts all growth. This thing is great as an accessory for a redfoot table! I replaced all of Arty's sphagnum moss with coco coir the other day. Well, my nepenthes just took off in growing a couple of new leaves and pitchers. They take a little while to open up, but they are filling up with juices!! Once the little toilets start opening up it's awesome!20200929_174005.jpg20200929_174027.jpg20200929_174048.jpg

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I ADORE picker plants! i'm curious as to what will sustain them as they are carnivorous?

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I sometimes cheat and feed mine fish food! You mash it up into a watery paste, then dab the pitcher food into the trap using a paintbrush! Works every time!
But.... you can order a "bug vacuum" (soooooooo fun!!!) and deposit any unlucky insect you find that can fit in the trap with some tweezers!!!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
But it loves those little fruit flies that sometimes try and reproduce in the tortoise room. While I was recovering for a year, I was unable to feed it anything , so it resorbed any new baby pitchers it grew up until recently.