Need low light potted plants.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
You could also glue Tilandsia (Air plants) to your perches with clear silicone and mechanics wire. Just make sure you let the silicone cure. I also have spider plants in coco hair hanging baskets on my porch and have wrens and chickadees nesting in them. Spanish moss can give it a natural look. I’m sure if you have FL oak trees around you have access to all of these.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You could also glue Tilandsia (Air plants) to your perches with clear silicone and mechanics wire. Just make sure you let the silicone cure. I also have spider plants in coco hair hanging baskets on my porch and have wrens and chickadees nesting in them. Spanish moss can give it a natural look. I’m sure if you have FL oak trees around you have access to all of these.
Lots and lots of air plants around. That's for sure.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I went to several bird supply stores looking at natural branch perches.
These mount to the sides of the cage. So you get branches without an actual tree.
I grabbed 8 of them. Did the math in my head and discovered that they were over $100.
So, this morning I headed out west to a swamp area that has a lot of Live Oak trees and started cutting.
Then over to Lowes for washers, wingnuts and studs..
What I ended up with are these.
So far I've made 11 and I have about four dollars invested.

View attachment 255255
Awesome!

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Just make sure to soak any Spanish moss in a mild bleach solution and rinse well. That should rid it of any undesirables. :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just make sure to soak any Spanish moss in a mild bleach solution and rinse well. That should rid it of any undesirables. :)
Yeah.
It seems to me that in moss and air plants both, I've seen mites. Or something like mites.
Makes your skin itch whatever they are.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is the bottom. Fake grass mat. Not the looped or woven type because I'm concerned about nails getting caught up in it. It can be vacuumed.
Then sheets of construction paper that can be changed out easily.

Attachments

• 20181101_143912.jpg
    20181101_143912.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20181101_143605.jpg
    20181101_143605.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 5

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Yeah.
It seems to me that in moss and air plants both, I've seen mites. Or something like mites.
Makes your skin itch whatever they are.
When I was younger, I heard them referred to as redbugs in the Spanish moss... although I never saw any red bugs in any moss I looked at. I was never sure if that was another term for chiggers, or what.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Chiggers is a term in heard too.
For anything in the woods that made you itch.
I was never really sure what chiggers were. I may have heard eventually, but it didn't stick in my mind. It seemed to involve some kind of egg laying, or burrowing larvae... (?) Something that was responded to by dabbing fingernail polish on the bite or point of entry on the skin, apparently with the intent of cutting off the oxygen supply for whatever was causing the itch.

I never had reason to deal with any of that, so my knowledge was second- or third-hand, at best.