Need information on mazuri

Sheldon the russian tortoise

5 Year Member
Hey everyone hope y'all had a great thanksgiving! Got my russian tortoise Sheldon in June of this year and he is doing great due to the help of forum members i recently ordered mazuri tortoise chow because so many forum members recommended it... I need to know things like how often to feed it to my russian. How much etc. THANKS

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some feed every day, others twice a week or so. Some feed dry others soak it to be soft, but absorbing all the water. Babies are usually fed a couple nuggets, adults larger amounts. Choose what works best for you and for the amount, see how much he will eat.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Definitely soak it to soften it for a Russian. Especially if he's never had it before.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Soak just one or two pellets and then mush it all up with the greens.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There are a lot of ways to feed Mazuri. The Mazuri company recommends a few things (http://www.mazuri.com/product_pdfs/5M21.pdf)-
- Maximum of 2-4% of body weight, and each pellet weighs about 1.05 grams. A half pound tortoise would weigh about 227 grams. 1% would be 2.27 grams, so 3% (splitting the difference) would be 6.71 grams or about 6 pellets.
- Feed a little 'real food' on the side. This helps ensure a good balance, adds interest, etc.
- They claim 'no need to moisten', and soaking it can soak out the water-soluble nutrients. If you want to soften blocks, dip them in water or sprinkle them to help keep the vitamins in. (You will find people on both sides of this- some claim their torts do not eat hard stuff, others claim even their little ones will eat hard blocks if they are just broken up a little.)

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I feed it 2x a week, lightly soaked, with a bit of calcium power and chopped grass mixed in. I have 8 tortoise, all under five lbs except my 50 lb Sulcata. I've tried to feed it dry, crushed, etc. Only my 50 lb guy can eat it dry. I only feed it to him as a treat. Maybe 5-10 kibbles a month. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sheldon the russian tortoise

5 Year Member
I've had it for ages and put in his food a couple of times but every time he won't TOUCH his food i want him to eat it he just won't any advice on getting him to actually eat it....:)thanks