Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbigshow01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Whittier, CA
I just noticed that both of my sulcatas have poop that has not actually been pooped all the way out should I pull it out or soak them until they can poop it out themselves. Need response as soon as possible they haven't been acting normal all they do is sleep all day and rarely eat

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
rbigshow01 said:
I just noticed that both of my sulcatas have poop that has not actually been pooped all the way out should I pull it out or soak them until they can poop it out themselves. Need response as soon as possible they haven't been acting normal all they do is sleep all day and rarely eat

Yes soak them, don't pull it out and try to prevent them from doing it. Sometimes hair or other type of stringy indigestible items will get eaten, pulling it out can damage the colon. If you do see a string like item, just snip it off as close as possible.

I had a cat that eat some ice fishing line once, I was sitting there wondering why the other cat was chasing him.

moswen

5 Year Member
Jermosh said:
I had a cat that eat some ice fishing line once, I was sitting there wondering why the other cat was chasing him.

oh that's nasty.

don't pull it out! you could damage something internally, just like jermosh said. give them a soak in some water that's just a little hotter than what you would consider comfortable (but don't burn them!) to get them moving, and put them in a clear container that will help them to move by them trying to walk through the wall. and that should do it!

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
moswen said:
Jermosh said:

oh that's nasty.

don't pull it out! you could damage something internally, just like jermosh said. give them a soak in some water that's just a little hotter than what you would consider comfortable (but don't burn them!) to get them moving, and put them in a clear container that will help them to move by them trying to walk through the wall. and that should do it!

Ohh thats a good tip.

rbigshow01

5 Year Member
Whittier, CA
Just finished soaking them for about 15 minutes will be feeding them pumpkin tomorrow

rbigshow01

5 Year Member
Whittier, CA
Well good news that torts have expelled the poop but now they are very inactive. They rarely move around and rarely open there eyes not sure whats wrong but if this keeps up I'm going to take them to the vet

M

Maggie Cummings

Are they warm enough? Are you feeding them stuff they like?

rbigshow01

5 Year Member
Whittier, CA
maggie3fan said:

There habitat is currently at 80 Degrees with 60% Humidity as for the food I feed them spring mix and take my torts out to my front front yard. The grass there is clean with no additives

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
rbigshow01 said:
maggie3fan said:

There habitat is currently at 80 Degrees with 60% Humidity as for the food I feed them spring mix and take my torts out to my front front yard. The grass there is clean with no additives

80 should be their cool spot for the day...you need to get a good 100-120 degree basking spot in place...how long are they outside...because with the weather the way it is right now...they should be out a minimum of 5-6 hours...but more than anything else, keep them hot, humid and hydrated.

rbigshow01

5 Year Member
Whittier, CA
Well I end up taking the torts to the vet again this time I went to Brookhurst Animal Medical Center while there the Doctor Lopez. He checked the torts out and told me that both my sullies were suffering from vitamin deficiency so he administered Vitamin A & D orally. He also said this was causing there eyes to become swollen so he suggested i feed the Vegetable gerber until they could open there eyes. He also gave me Avi-Con water soluble vitamins which i am going to be administering orally

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
rbigshow01 said:
Well I end up taking the torts to the vet again this time I went to Brookhurst Animal Medical Center while there the Doctor Lopez. He checked the torts out and told me that both my sullies were suffering from vitamin deficiency so he administered Vitamin A & D orally. He also said this was causing there eyes to become swollen so he suggested i feed the Vegetable gerber until they could open there eyes. He also gave me Avi-Con water soluble vitamins which i am going to be administering orally

Good luck!

I am at a loss on how to give a sulcata oral medicine? I had hard enough time giving them shots in the arm.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I always worry when the vet gives a tortoise the A,D,E. Its usually an injection, though, so maybe by giving it orally it will be ok. Just keep a close watch on their skin. Too much Vit.A can cause the skin to come off.

The baby food to use is the orange/red ones like carrots, squash and sweet potatoes. You can also use liquid bird vitamins in the soaking water.

rbigshow01

5 Year Member
Whittier, CA
Jermosh said:
rbigshow01 said:

Good luck!

I am at a loss on how to give a sulcata oral medicine? I had hard enough time giving them shots in the arm.

Can tell you its easy but its a pain you have to use a syringe that has the tip cut off so it wont harm them

emysemys said:
I always worry when the vet gives a tortoise the A,D,E. Its usually an injection, though, so maybe by giving it orally it will be ok. Just keep a close watch on their skin. Too much Vit.A can cause the skin to come off.

The baby food to use is the orange/red ones like carrots, squash and sweet potatoes. You can also use liquid bird vitamins in the soaking water.

Will do thanks and as for the liquid bird vitamins the Avi-Con will do

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Hey did you listen to Dean about the temps and look at the page Tom offered? Hope they are doing better.:)

rbigshow01

5 Year Member
Whittier, CA
shmily1605 said:
Hey did you listen to Dean about the temps and look at the page Tom offered? Hope they are doing better.:)

Yes I did there basking spot is currently at 105 degrees

rbigshow01

5 Year Member
Whittier, CA
Not sure if these little guys will be able to pull threw :( I'm currently trying to feed them carrots and administer the vitamins the doc gave me. I'm just wishing for a miracle my lil bro will be devastated if they pass. Currently they are not moving from where we place them but move once we pick them up. Hoping for the best just thought I'll let you guys know what was going on with my two sullies

rbigshow01

5 Year Member
Whittier, CA
Well as I stated on the above post one of our sullies has passed not sure what we did wrong but I still have hope for the remaining one I will continue to feed it gerber and administer the vitamins. Maybe Tank Rest in Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.