Need help with redfoot!!

dusto

Location (City and/or State)
BATAVIA
I rescued a 3 yo redfoot tort. The bottom of his shell is peeling, very deep groove down the center.. is not wet or does not smell. I suspect mbd. Will not tolerate a enclosure at all. I'm worried about the small peice on the top left peeling up a tad. I just want to give this guy his best life. Please help with any advice and if you think this is serious.. thanks so much
PXL_20230211_181555637.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm not ZEROPILOT but that never stopped me before lol He's awful skinny. What is he sleeping on?. I see nice growth rings, why do you suspect MBD? Is that spot soft? Does it smell? The experts will want to know how he is being kept now might as well post that. He looks too dry Welcome...

dusto

BATAVIA
I'm not ZEROPILOT but that never topped me before lol He's awful skinny. What is he sleeping on?. I see nice growth rings, why do you suspect MBD? Is that spot soft? Does it smell? The experts will want to know how he is being kept now might as well post that. He looks too dry Welcome...
Any advice is appreciated thank you.. yes he is so dry.the spot on the upper left does not smell or seem moist at all. It seems to be lifting or peeling. He is very active and his appetite is really good imo. Mbd was suspected because of the pyramiding and the uneven growth on his belly. I will get crucified on here but I can't get him to stay in his enclosure. He flips and cannot right himself. So he wanders the house and has a small enclosure on the floor with lights, humidity and some substrate. He always pushes it away to sleep on the cardboard bottom..if I raise the humidity past 60% he will literally go find somewhere else to sleep. I do soak him daily and his diet consist of all sorts of veg's and fruit and 3 different types of tort kibble that I mix.im just worried about the peice lifting up and the deep crevice down his belly

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am sorry to hear that the tortoise "wanders the house". So really, whatever good advice you are given here will in any case not be applicable or heeded. Still I hope he can be helped.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
He needs to be in an enclosure. One that is large enough will keep him happy.
I'm not going to guess it's MBD just from a single photo of the plastron.
Can you photograph him standing or walking? From the side and from over the top. Looking down.
Describe or photograph your lights. Heating and what you're using for a UVB source.
One photo and a minimal description isn't a lot to go on

dusto

BATAVIA
I am sorry to hear that the tortoise "wanders the house". So really, whatever good advice you are given here will in any case not be applicable or heeded. Still I hope he can be helped.
Again I got him from someone, I will take any advice given, is it always bad for a tort to have free range of a room then have an enclosure to go into? I'm more worried about his shell than his enclosure and living arrangements, but advise is always heeded.. I was reading a lot of threads before I posted and people really act elitist instead of trying to help..

dusto

BATAVIA
He needs to be in an enclosure. One that is large enough will keep him happy.
I'm not going to guess it's MBD just from a single photo of the plastron.
Can you photograph him standing or walking? From the side and from over the top. Looking down.
Describe or photograph your lights. Heating and what you're using for a UVB source.
One photo and a minimal description isn't a lot to go on
I will grab some pics for you when I get home.. I built a huge enclosure for him, like 6x8 ft and he would always climb the sides and flip without being able to right himself. I decided to put his new home on the floor with a door so he could come out and socialize when he wants and he hasn't flipped in 3 months.he seems very happy and active. I just noticed the peeling on his plastron today and it worried me.. mbd was just me thinking out loud because of the pyramiding.. tons of uv and essential vitamins.. he probably comes out of his enclosure 2 times a day for 15 min to socialize then he heads back in. Like I said I will grab some pics when I get home. I appreciate your time and advice

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The reason you feel he needs to be let out to wander is because his enclosure isn't big enough.

I don't see any areas of concern on the bottom shell except for the area just in front of the tail. That area MIGHT be showing signs of beginning shell rot. If the deep seam down the middle concerns you you can apply a bit of cold pressed coconut oil and rub it in.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Any advice is appreciated thank you.. yes he is so dry.the spot on the upper left does not smell or seem moist at all. It seems to be lifting or peeling. He is very active and his appetite is really good imo. Mbd was suspected because of the pyramiding and the uneven growth on his belly. I will get crucified on here but I can't get him to stay in his enclosure. He flips and cannot right himself. So he wanders the house and has a small enclosure on the floor with lights, humidity and some substrate. He always pushes it away to sleep on the cardboard bottom..if I raise the humidity past 60% he will literally go find somewhere else to sleep. I do soak him daily and his diet consist of all sorts of veg's and fruit and 3 different types of tort kibble that I mix.im just worried about the peice lifting up and the deep crevice down his belly
You will not get crucified here. This is not Facebook, we are here to help tortoises not beat keepers up. Pyramiding does not always cause MBD.
Again I got him from someone, I will take any advice given, is it always bad for a tort to have free range of a room then have an enclosure to go into? I'm more worried about his shell than his enclosure and living arrangements, but advise is always heeded.. I was reading a lot of threads before I posted and people really act elitist instead of trying to help..
here? Elitist? Not hardly...you are worried about a shell problem, and we are trying to tell you what is causing the problem, but you don't want to listen. Tortoises walk for miles in the wild, it aids in digestion. Would you keep a cow in your bedroom? No? well, that's what you are doing to that tortoise. He is showing you how unhappy he is. There are many things you can use to make his life better...make him a safe enclosure...lay a bookcase down. Here's photos of a couple of my tort tables...assuming he will be outside weather permitting, these are a temporary answer to winter enclosure...100_2857.JPG100_2729.JPG

I'm just trying to show you what you might use...he cannot roam the floor...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its not safe for them to be roaming the floor. They always find a way to injure or kill themselves, and its also too cold and too dry down there, unless your floors are heated to 85 degrees with 80+% humidity 24/7. You need a very large closed chamber, or a converted room.

What are you using for UV? Some bulbs burn their eyes, and other bulbs are much too intense for a RF.

Where is Batavia? Jakarta, or IL, NY, OH, etc...

dusto

BATAVIA
Its not safe for them to be roaming the floor. They always find a way to injure or kill themselves, and its also too cold and too dry down there, unless your floors are heated to 85 degrees with 80+% humidity 24/7. You need a very large closed chamber, or a converted room.

What are you using for UV? Some bulbs burn their eyes, and other bulbs are much too intense for a RF.

Where is Batavia? Jakarta, or IL, NY, OH, etc...
Batavia, NY yeah I see what you are saying..I will get the spects for my lights

dusto

BATAVIA
You will not get crucified here. This is not Facebook, we are here to help tortoises not beat keepers up. Pyramiding does not always cause MBD.

here? Elitist? Not hardly...you are worried about a shell problem, and we are trying to tell you what is causing the problem, but you don't want to listen. Tortoises walk for miles in the wild, it aids in digestion. Would you keep a cow in your bedroom? No? well, that's what you are doing to that tortoise. He is showing you how unhappy he is. There are many things you can use to make his life better...make him a safe enclosure...lay a bookcase down. Here's photos of a couple of my tort tables...assuming he will be outside weather permitting, these are a temporary answer to winter enclosure...View attachment 354087View attachment 354088

I'm just trying to show you what you might use...he cannot roam the floor...
Oh very nice... Yes my enclosure was a little larger than that.. I didn't mean you, some woman said I wouldn't heed the advice.. I will take some pictures tomorrow... Thanks for all your help!!