Need help with decision.

Oldbro

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Have had Bob over 2 years. He's gone from 47 grams to 2950 in that time. The issue is moisture level in his enclosure. At 80% it becomes unclean and buggy in a short time. Needs cleaning several times a month. Ive attempted a different course
of soaking him everyday for the last several
months. He has been very regular and his urine is clear of the chalky substance that would discharge at times. The pen is clean
now but the humidity is 50-60%, worried about shell problems.
He’s loved by all in the family but I fear we
may have health issues long term with the dryer environment. He Is eating a combo
of Mazuri pellets, timothy hay, organic wheat grass, dandelion and clover with an occasional addition of carrots and other vegetables. Not sure if we need to find him a new proper home or not. He’s healthy, active and loves my wife's voice. She treats him with Belgium endive and scratches his head a couple times a week.
We got him when the whole family, 3 generations, went to an exotic animal show before the pandemic. Learned later of the challenges encountered in caring for a Sulcata.
All advice appreciated.

Attachments

• AFE1695C-2DFF-4434-B0AA-3B9E872CC5B1.jpeg
    AFE1695C-2DFF-4434-B0AA-3B9E872CC5B1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 4CF2958B-5750-4766-A02C-F4A8FA1C5668.jpeg
    4CF2958B-5750-4766-A02C-F4A8FA1C5668.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 4CD673A1-1A8B-48C4-BB87-CFB39374E48E.jpeg
    4CD673A1-1A8B-48C4-BB87-CFB39374E48E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sounds like Bob's enclosure isn't big enough. If you're into warmish days now you can let him spend time outside during the day. @wellington is also in Chicago. Maybe she has some tips for you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Bob needs a room size enclosure or better would be to build him a large heated shed for winters. You can also dedicate the basement to him or a good portion of it. Just remember when he gets big he will need to be able to get outside without being carried.
I have leopards in Chicago. I have a large heated shed for winter. Heated with an oil filled heater 24/7 and then basking lights during the day.
Each has an outdoor area they can get too from their shed area when its warm out and I open their doors.
During the summer months I run sprinklers or misting hose to up the humidity.
You have one more year you should keep the humidity upto 80%. Once he moves outside to live or basement/outside then a humid hide should be enough along with some sprinkling in the summer.
Chicago is just as suitable as most other places. We just need to build bigger and heat more.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Have had Bob over 2 years. He's gone from 47 grams to 2950 in that time. The issue is moisture level in his enclosure. At 80% it becomes unclean and buggy in a short time. Needs cleaning several times a month. Ive attempted a different course
of soaking him everyday for the last several
months. He has been very regular and his urine is clear of the chalky substance that would discharge at times. The pen is clean
now but the humidity is 50-60%, worried about shell problems.
He’s loved by all in the family but I fear we
may have health issues long term with the dryer environment. He Is eating a combo
of Mazuri pellets, timothy hay, organic wheat grass, dandelion and clover with an occasional addition of carrots and other vegetables. Not sure if we need to find him a new proper home or not. He’s healthy, active and loves my wife's voice. She treats him with Belgium endive and scratches his head a couple times a week.
We got him when the whole family, 3 generations, went to an exotic animal show before the pandemic. Learned later of the challenges encountered in caring for a Sulcata.
All advice appreciated.
Sounds like what you are doing is fine, and the most recent shell growth looks good, so the drier conditions appear to be fine now that he's not a little baby. Keep up the daily soaks.