Need help sick tort

DesertHerd

Location (City and/or State)
Tustin, CA
One of my boxies had a respiratory thing going on when she was 7 months old. My vet was hesitant as well due to her small size at the time so we went with oral antibiotics instead of injections.
did the oral antibiotics work? I am in the same situation with my vet now

zovick

10 Year Member!
did the oral antibiotics work? I am in the same situation with my vet now
It is virtually impossible to get the correct dosage of a medication into an animal orally. Most of the sick ones aren't eating, so how do you get it into them? If you try to put it into their mouths forcefully, it can even be inhaled and cause more trouble.

Injections are far more accurate.

DesertHerd

Tustin, CA
It is virtually impossible to get the correct dosage of a medication into an animal orally. Most of the sick ones aren't eating, so how do you get it into them? If you try to put it into their mouths forcefully, it can even be inhaled and cause more trouble.

Injections are far more accurate.
I am calling around to the vets in my area but they are either booked fill next week or wont inject babies.

Luckily mine is eating as of right now so hoping that helps.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I am calling around to the vets in my area but they are either booked fill next week or wont inject babies.

Well, see if it will eat some favorite food item(s) with the antibiotic on it. Hopefully, the taste of the medication won't make it refuse to eat, which is another problem with oral antibiotics.

I would still recommend using the drops I mentioned. (Neo-Poly-Dex Ophthalmic Suspension). They can be used along with the systemic antibiotics.

Good luck.

DesertHerd

Tustin, CA
Well, see if it will eat some favorite food item(s) with the antibiotic on it. Hopefully, the taste of the medication won't make it refuse to eat, which is another problem with oral antibiotics.

I would still recommend using the drops I mentioned. (Neo-Poly-Dex Ophthalmic Suspension). They can be used along with the systemic antibiotics.

Good luck.
Can I get those over the counter at a store? If not will have to wait till next week to get from vet :(

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
This post is from 2014. Maybe you should start a new thread. My opinion only

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

What symptoms are you trying to treat the tort for? If it were me and the Tort is still eating I personally would not give antibiotics.

DesertHerd

Tustin, CA
What symptoms are you trying to treat the tort for? If it were me and the Tort is still eating I personally would not give antibiotics.
He had a bubbly nose this morning and has been squeaking and snapping his head back all day, I gave him the eye/nose antibiotics and it seemes to help the squeaking a bit so fingers crossed.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
He had a bubbly nose this morning and has been squeaking and snapping his head back all day, I gave him the eye/nose antibiotics and it seemes to help the squeaking a bit so fingers crossed.
Try raising the temperature 3-4 degrees thru out the enclosure for a few days. That might help too.

zovick

10 Year Member!
This post is from 2014. Maybe you should start a new thread. My opinion only
Every post I see here in this thread says it was posted "Today". It also shows the thread being started at 1:33 PM today. Not sure where you saw 2014.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Every post I see here in this thread says it was posted "Today". It also shows the thread being started at 1:33 PM today. Not sure where you saw 2014.
She Who Is Above snipped and recombined.

;)

zovick

10 Year Member!
She Who Is Above snipped and recombined.

;)
I don't understand what that means. These posts are current, are they not? And I still cannot see anything in this thread that indicates 2014.

The person who started the thread only joined the TFO on Tuesday, November 30th, 2021, so I am confused.

Last edited:

zovick

10 Year Member!
tried that and it asked for prescription :(
Can you get one of your vets to give you the prescription? Or better yet, just ask them to sell you the medication. I used to get it directly from my vet for about $18 per bottle.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
In the First Post ,#1, Click on the Name "lisa127 said:" and it comes up with a post from Aug. 4th 2014 . Title of the thread is "I finally got an antibiotic"

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Thank you for the explanation. Now I get it, but still this thread is NOT from 2014 IMHO, she just used that quote to ask the question which started this new thread about her own tortoises.

Guess it's a matter of how you look at it Anyway, thanks again for the assistance in understanding the situation.
Yes, it IS confusing. that someone brings this up 7 years later. . .oh well, watcha gonna do.