need help sexing a leo

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vegasjoe

Hello,
This is my 4 inch tort, I know its sort of small to sex at this time but I wanted to throw out 2 pics and see what you all thought about the possible sex of this one. I personally think it looks like a female, let me know what you think.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
It's looking like a male to me. :)

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you only look at the tail, it looks male, however if you look at the anal scutes, it looks female. Your tortoise is still too young to sex. When it gets to be about 8" from front to back you should be able to tell. On an adult male leopard, the anal scutes look to be in the shape of a handle-bar mustache, while the anal scutes of a female look like an inverted 'v'

Yvonne

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
hi i think it is a little small and immature to sex by the tail so i can only go by the shape of the anal scutes and at this time it certainly looks female.
terry

alice

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i would say by looking at the anal scutes you have two females, however as they get older they may change

alice

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
isnt there only one tortoise? i would say its a little young and it would go either way.

kingstonsdad

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oswego as in Lake Oswego (Oregon)?

I have a leopard that was a rescue- I think he's a male. Can anyone confirm fom the pictures?

oswego tort lover said:
i have breed leos for 14 yrs and the anal scutes look female as well as the tail........ed

Attachments

• pickle underside.jpg
    pickle underside.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 44
  • pickle.JPG
    pickle.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 29

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
Kingstonsdad, Oswego as in NY.....I thought the same thing and then checked his profile!! I suggest a new thread so people will know that you posted a new question!!!

There are a lot of threads already on the subject! One in particular I know has pictures and descriptions.....It's on page four I think in the Leopard Section third up from the bottom "Jambies" my Leopard--M or F

FGCinHB

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
kingstonsdad said:
Oswego as in Lake Oswego (Oregon)?

I have a leopard that was a rescue- I think he's a male. Can anyone confirm fom the pictures

Looks like a male to me

Status
Not open for further replies.