Need help from Breeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gran Pulse
So, I went to pick up my new Star.. Um, she/he was wayyyy smaller than expected. So, she is about 2 inches or so. Do I still soak her/him daily? I got her/him to eat. Anything else I should know about this small baby? Anything special? Here are some pictures of her/him eating and one of her/his big home. Will post more when I am not keeping one eyeball on her. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20120622_191620.jpg
    20120622_191620.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 79
  • 20120622_182921.jpg
    20120622_182921.jpg
    931.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 20120622_182928.jpg
    20120622_182928.jpg
    521.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 20120622_191741.jpg
    20120622_191741.jpg
    792.3 KB · Views: 69

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Keep hydrated, lots of calcium and sunshine.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Looks like a good size for a star that is about a month or two old. Looks like you have a nice set up. I would definitely soak daily, and feed him/her as much as they can eat. I'm all about feeding baby tortoises until they're full. Looks like you got some spring mix in there. That's good, and always mix up the diet when you can. Search around on the forum, there are a lot of good dietary suggestions. Seems like you got a good set up.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Setup looks nice. And since it is so small you will want to soak at least once per day. Did you set up a humid hide? He/she is going to need one or she most likely wont be as smooth as you would want her to be.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
dmmj, not to young to take outside? She seems so small to me. How many soaks a day?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would either take it out supervised or in a predator proof temporary enclosure. I soak my baby leopards once a day.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Neal said:
Looks like a good size for a star that is about a month or two old. Looks like you have a nice set up. I would definitely soak daily, and feed him/her as much as they can eat. I'm all about feeding baby tortoises until they're full. Looks like you got some spring mix in there. That's good, and always mix up the diet when you can. Search around on the forum, there are a lot of good dietary suggestions. Seems like you got a good set up.

Neal, in all honestly I was hoping this thread would catch your eye. I needed advice.. And I know you breed them. Moist hide? Okay, so a hide with peat moss maybe? Should I mist her or just soak her a little each day? How long? She just traveled a long way today so should I stress her out by soaking her already or wait till tomorrow? Sorry, so many questions it's just her being so small makes me NERVOUS!!

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would soak her right now especially since you just got her. I would soak her at least once a day and twice a day if you have time to do it. About 5-10 minutes each. A moist hide with peat moss would be perfect for her.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Eweezyfosheezy said:
I would soak her right now especially since you just got her. I would soak her at least once a day and twice a day if you have time to do it. About 5-10 minutes each. A moist hide with peat moss would be perfect for her.

Going to go soak her now. :) Thanks!

She has been soaked. She drank some water. Now she is eating again. :D Oh the joys of being a new parent. I have another question, how long does a breeder typically keep a star until they consider selling it?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
All species are normally the same and its usually at least a month. But some breeders wait till 2-3 months.

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Awesome enclosure and cute tortoise :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You should really soak longer, like 15-20 mins or even a 1/2 hour. Also read the thread at the bottom of my post titled beginner mistakes. It's the first thread.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Wellington, I soaked for 15 min but the water got so cold. :/ I will read that now. Thank you. I will try and soak her longer next time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Vishnu2 said:
Wellington, I soaked for 15 min but the water got so cold. :/ I will read that now. Thank you. I will try and soak her longer next time.

I soak in my bathroom sink. I change the water after a few minutes to keep it warm. You do need to keep the water warm. Others do it under a basking light to keep the baby warm. Cold and wet is not good. Warm and wet is good.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Soaking is good at least twice a day. He/She does look good size for 3 months. Since your enclosure (very nice by the way) is an open enclosure, I would suggest adding a humidifier to the room, and also would definitely spray he/she down in the morning and evening. Diet as described above looks good, spring mix works great for this species. In the humid hide i would use sphagnum moss soaked in warm water in the morning, You can do this while he/she is soaking, and remove the moss from the hide and soak it then kinda ring it out so its not sopping wet. Make sure to use coco coir, these guys at this size will like to burrow. Another reason why i recommend twice a day soaks, to force he/she to wake up and get into the routine of eating after its soak. Everything looks great. Good luck. Ohhh yes also calcium and mineral suppliments are a must twice a week, Just like any other wee baby tort.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Vishnu2 said:

I soak my little ones under the basking light so the water stays warm. I put the container off to the side a little to keep from cooking the little guy. You have to be careful if you do this because if not positioned correctly the water can get to warm

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
How long will it take her to grow an inch or two? She is an excellent eater btw. She has soaked this morning and is eating her breakfast now. I chose mulch, it was what was suggested by many, many members so I went with that and she seems to do well with it. :D The interesting thing is, she was a trade and the traders didn't know if she was a burmese or not. How would I tell or can I this early? Thanks everyone for your help by the way!

Vishnu

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Vishnu2 said:
How long will it take her to grow an inch or two? She is an excellent eater btw. She has soaked this morning and is eating her breakfast now. I chose mulch, it was what was suggested by many, many members so I went with that and she seems to do well with it. :D The interesting thing is, she was a trade and the traders didn't know if she was a burmese or not. How would I tell or can I this early? Thanks everyone for your help by the way!

Vishnu

You have an Indian Star tortoise.

Anyone that isn't sure if they have a Burmese Star Tortoise or not, doesn't have one...simply put. Or, if they do and they don't know it, they probably shouldn't have it :). Burmese Stars are one of, if not the, rarest type of tortoise in the world.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
In my last reply to this posting I spoke with my heart instead of my brain (which explains the edit) . I am going to refrain from commenting Neal. All, I will say is I disagree with your statement. Thanks.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
Hi, Nice little hatchling! I would get rid of those hides... My hatchlings like to crawl up anything they can and the sides of those hides are a great place for her/he to try to climb and flip. Also the ridge of the food bowl... I use a paper plate for their food and for a hide, sides that don't slope. Regarding a soak: I soak my hatchlings until they poop. I keep on changing the water to keep it warm. This is done in the morning before they eat. This is my way of starting their day; warm water soak, drink and poop and then time to eat. Note that my Star's were younger than yours when I received them... If you got her/him from an american breeder your Star should do really well. Don't be afraid. Also, Stars are just as beautiful as Burmese Stars. Just enjoy this lovely gift of having a Star. I can pm a culture sheet that my breeder provided for me when I receive my hatchlings if you are interested. Good luck, C

Status
Not open for further replies.