Need breeding tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmt123

5 Year Member
I need some advice on breeding eastern box turtles. I am getting one from a rescue they are in really good health. should I get two now and try to breed them or should I wait until I have more experience to start breeding.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
I think you should get 1 male 3 or 4 females..and let nature take its course.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi bmt123:

If this is your first experience with turtles/tortoises, then you need to learn how to care for this turtle first before you even think about adding another one to the mix. Take care of your new eastern box turtle for about a year, and learn all the ins and outs of its care, what sex it is, what it eats, etc. Then you might think about adding a couple more and letting them breed. The breeding part is easy. They do it without any help from you (if the outdoor pen is set up correctly), its keeping babies alive that is the hard part.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
emysemys said:
Hi bmt123:

If this is your first experience with turtles/tortoises, then you need to learn how to care for this turtle first before you even think about adding another one to the mix. Take care of your new eastern box turtle for about a year, and learn all the ins and outs of its care, what sex it is, what it eats, etc. Then you might think about adding a couple more and letting them breed. The breeding part is easy. They do it without any help from you (if the outdoor pen is set up correctly), its keeping babies alive that is the hard part.

Great advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.