Need Basking Area Recommendations :)

threeinoneshampoo

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Some relevant backstory:
My rescue hatchling turtle Bowser has been struggling with MBD for about a month now, and I just ordered this above tank basking area. His current water level is about 2-3 inches high since he's been floating (has been floating since I had him with his butt up, yes I already took him to the vet and they gave me antibiotics but he's still floating - separate issue but relevant info for his tank setup), and with this I'd have to raise the water level almost all the way. He has two very large decorations that would give him something to hold onto with the raised water level since he can't dive.

He's less than an inch big and in a 10 gallon tank, I'm going to upsize to a 40 gallon breeder once he's healthy and growing normally.

Is there anything I can put substrate wise on the basking platform? Should I make a different basking platform instead? I did see someone use an old plastic tub and cut out a ramp at the bottom as their basking area, but with my lights being clip ons I'm worried about hem being too close to him if I did that.

511rnvPrISL._AC_.jpg

This is the above area basking I bought, I'm planning on removing the swing thingy underneath. It says online that it's 14 inches tall, I have a 75 Watt basking bulb and a 5% UVB bulb. I'm worried that the basking bulb will be too close to him, even though it should be at least 7 inches away, it gets extremely hot (like over 100 degrees at 7 inches away).

Another thing I'm concerned about is the amount of hiding spots he's going to have.

Right now his tank looks like this:

IMG_7751.JPG

The lamps are positioned differently to be directly over that flat rock on the left.

Right now he has a lot of hiding spots and he really likes them, so if I raise the water level he'll no longer have access to them until he stops floating. I got some decorations to help with that, but I'd like some outside options of more experienced turtle keepers!

IMG_7885.jpg

This coconut hide is going to go in the basking area. I also have a ton of rocks I can sterilize and put around the basking area for him to check out. I have live plants in with him right now and he hasn't eaten any of them, so I don't think he'll eat this one.

IMG_7887.jpg

I might put this fake plant over the mesh lid that will cover the exposed part of the tank.

IMG_7886.jpg

And I'd like to put this reptile hammock either above the water so he can hide under or just below the surface so he can hold onto it. Little concerned his feet might get stuck on it so I'll be watching him.

What do you think? I'll update once I get it set up either tomorrow or over the weekend :)

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
I use one just like the one you have pictured. It's not really designed to hold substrate though. You'd have a mess every time your turtle drags it into the water.
20230615_174240[1].jpg