Need basic list of what I can feed my Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydog6644

5 Year Member
I just got the new Redfoot and I haven't had much experience with this bread! I would really appreciate it if some could give a basic care and food list! :) thanks :)

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
Habitat:
Temperatures should be 80-85 throughout the enclosure...Humidity is as high as you can possibly make it; in the rain forests young tortoises inhabit the humidity is frequently 95-100%. An ultra-sonic humidifier can be purchased for about $50, make sure it is cool-mist. Basking spot of 90-95 is appreciated but not needed. Enclosure should be spacious and well-lit, but with some dark retreats. Planted with live plants is greatly appreciated, and makes the tortoise fell more comfortable. Make sure to use only non-toxic, edible plants. A pile of deep, loose spaghum moss is the best hide of any for young red foots; they burrow in and disappear.
Feeding:
Greens should make up about 60 of the diet, fruit should make up 30%, vegetables about 5% and meat protein the other 5%. Heres a list of foods:
Greens:
Collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, radiccio, dandelion greens, chicory, escarole, endive, hibiscus leaves and flowers are GREAT if you have access to them. I recommend buying some plants.
Fruits:
Kiwi, plum, peach, canteloupe and honeydew melon, papaya, raspberry, strawberry, blackberry, mangos, cactus fruit, figs, pears, pineapples. Apples and grapes are also acceptable but others are better with more nutrients.
Vegetables:
Butternut, acorn, and yellow squashes, pumpkin, carrots are good to add bi-weekly as they limit nematodes (parasites) naturally.
Meat protien:
Meat protein is essentail to a redfoots diet, otherwise amino acid deficiencies become noticeable in the forum of hind-leg paralysis...An all-around undesirable situation. The best protein is insects; butter worms, earthworms, silk-worms (avoid meal-worms as they are hard to digest). Meat can be a substitute, however; chicken and turkey are the best. Steamed works great for meat....

I'm pretty sure I gave you this on another thread, but there it is again! If you have any questions feel free to pm me...

jaydog6644

5 Year Member
wow thank you so much i just went out and bought him some great food! thank you so much i really appreciate it! :)

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Heres a tip; a recommended method of feeding for tortoises is alternation between days...Day 1 and day 2 you offer only greens and some veggies, day 3 you offer only a mix of fruit. Day 4 and day 5 you offer greens and veggies again, day 6 you offer fruit. Day 7 is meat/insect protein. This works in part because of the slow metabolism of a tortoise. It is also beneficial because it keeps the tortoise from being able to pick and choose from the pile of food you offer him....Also, since you only have one tortoise, to pack in as much variety as possible, alternate foods weekly. Buy collard greens one week, use it all, then buy the next green, use it all, then the next. Same with fruits. This will help you cut down on fruit usage. It has no effect on the tortoise, as long as they get it within I'd say the same few weeks/month, then it is fine. Plenty of illustrations in the wild of how a tortoise finds a nice tree dropping figs, sits there for 2 weeks gorging on them, then moves on to another :).

jaydog6644

5 Year Member
guess what i just made a whole calander for the next month on what im going to feed my little guy! your really helpful, thank you :)

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Hmm...Just noticed in my one post I said "fruit usage"...I meant food wasting :) Hopefully you caught the meaning.

abclements

5 Year Member
Peter, you said that the humidifier needs to be a cool-mist. I'm just really curious as to why a warm-mist one won't work? I have a mostly closed environment and my humidity never drops below 85ish due to a make-shift waterfall but just in case I ever need to get one, this would be good info to have! :) Thanks!!

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I've only used cool-mist, and I've heard the warm-mist can burn them? Not sure of the validity of the statement but...I just be on the safe-side and use cool-mist. People say warm mist gets to hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.