Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyralspyder

5 Year Member
Hello, I am new to the site and any information would be helpful.

I have two box turtles in my care and have had them for about 6 years. I was wondering. Should an Ornate, and a 3 toed male be housed together, or should I make a new enclosure for one of them? Their current enclosure is about 5 by 3 and made of wood with a feeding slab of stone, a hideout log/basking site, and a water dish (about the size of a frying pan). Anyway they have been together for a while and they have always fought for food whenever I feed them. (No matter how much food there is they both go for the same piece!) I was thinking, I dunno really how social they are and maybe they should just have their own separate enclosures.
They eat a varied diet of whatever meat/veggies/fruits I happen to pick up. (different veggies, but mostly boiled shredded meat)
I also want advice on beak trimming. Their beaks are getting long. I have no problem with trimming claws but am apprehensive of trimming beaks. How much do you suppose a vet would charge for a beak trimming? As I said any advice would be helpful.

btw they eat mostly veggies, I just mostly boil and shred their meat with the occasional waxworm or nightcrawler.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Spyralspyder:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

It doesn't matter that they are two different types of box turtle. They would act that way if they were both the same. All mine do that too. The piece of food in the other turtle's mouth is always more interesting-looking than the one on the feeding plate.

Usually an outdoor box turtle doesn't require beak or nail trimming. Are they indoors? Once you get the beak trimmed, then don't cut up their food for them. It helps keep the beak in shape if they have to bite.

I doubt it would cost very much for a vet visit. Some vets charge for the office visit, then an exotic animal fee, then whatever the service he's providing costs. It would probably be less than a hundred bucks. But you can always call around and ask them.

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WV
well welcome to the forum :) and yea if they are fighting( i would move them )or (feed them seperatly) so they wont make you visit the vet if you dont have to. You know what i mean lol :). But listen to some of the others also they are very good at helping people with turtle/tortoise problems. They are nice so listen to their advise. That is what i have to say for you on your problem good luck :).

Status
Not open for further replies.