Location (City and/or State)
ohio
did turtle #2 get a 3rd shot ?

Lrodmyre

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lindstrom, MN
My vet says if it's your turtle, you know them, it's one month. If it's a rescue, I do 3 months.

Since you know your turtle and how it behaves, I think a month is good. Just keep a close eye on it for that month. You should be able to tell if they are going back the other way.

Any chance your vet got the 2 turtles mixed up on their weights?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
did turtle #2 get a 3rd shot ?
No turtle #2 is doing well and eating after only 2 so I held off on the third shot today. Today was the second shot for turtle 3. So I'm hoping to see some improvement soon. Vet said all turtles respond differently though.

Lotsa Torts

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Apple Valley
I don't know what's going on here and I need some advice from someone with more experience. I recently bought a new turtle a little more than a month ago. I quarantined her from my other turtles and was planning to quarantine for at least month. She was in a tub in the basement with my pond a few feet away from the pond. She was acting fine for a few weeks but then stopped eating, started sleeping on the basking area all day, and opening her mouth a lot. I took her to the vet where they diagnosed her with a severe RI. She was given an antibiotic injection of baytril and I was suppose to return for a second in 2 days. Sadly she passed away that night. Then as of a few days ago one of the turtles in my pond starting presenting the same symptoms. I immediately quarantined her and took her to the vet. Same diagnosis RI, and given Baytril injection. She seems to be doing ok now, still quarantined. However yesterday I noticed ANOTHER one of my turtles in the pond was not eating and tonight when I got home, same thing sleeping on the basking area, and what appears to be gasping for air. I don't understand how this is happening. The new turtle that past away had no contact whatsoever with the pond or other turtles and I washed my hands Everytime I touched her or her water. I don't know what to do and I'm freaking out I don't want to lose anymore of my turtles. Am I missing something? Any advice as to what I should do? Should I separate all my turtles from each other, quarantine everyone? Do a water change on the pond? Could something in my husbandry be causing this? Any and all advice would be much appreciated. Oh ya and these are sliders and a Cooter I'm talking about. The Cooter is the one that started acting sick today. Sorry for the long post.
@mark1 @Markw84 @Kapidolo Farms @Yvonne G @shellfreak
If they are in the basement, perhaps they are breathing in mold spores that are making them sick. So sorry for your loss.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Well turtle number 3 has perked up a little and isn't constantly sleeping today. Still not eating yet. No other turtles acting sick. I'm finally starting to breathe a little sigh of relief.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Well I'm back at the vet with turtle number 3 for shot number 3. She has perked up quite a bit but still no interest in food. I started doing baby carrot food soaks also. I figured if it's good for Tortoises it can't hurt for a turtle.IMG_20191007_120912055.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
How are Spud and Moe today?
Moe is pretty much back to her normal self, eating normally and acting just fine. Spud seems a little more active and reactive, but still not eating and basking a lot more than normal. I've also noticed in the past few days she's not using her back legs much. I think that's possibly because they hurt from the shots. At least I hope that's what it is.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
keep her water 80-85 degrees ….. shots should really be in the front legs , the back legs is ok for some drugs and not ok for others , most vets I've known just use the front as a matter of practice ……. baytril will hurt initially for a short period of time , shouldn't hurt the next day ……… i'd put her back in her normal environment leave her go for a few days , keep her warm , see if she gets back to normal , if not i'd try a different antibiotic ……….. I've treated many sick turtles within a group without ever pulling them out ………..

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
keep her water 80-85 degrees ….. shots should really be in the front legs , the back legs is ok for some drugs and not ok for others , most vets I've known just use the front as a matter of practice ……. baytril will hurt initially for a short period of time , shouldn't hurt the next day ……… i'd put her back in her normal environment leave her go for a few days , keep her warm , see if she gets back to normal , if not i'd try a different antibiotic ……….. I've treated many sick turtles within a group without ever pulling them out ………..
Do you think that be a good idea considering how fast this seemed to spread initially? I'd be really worried to try that. I've got a heater in her quarantine tub set at 84 degrees. Keeping the basking spot, where she's spending the majority of her time at about 92. I'm going to give it a few more days and if there's no improvement I'm going to take her to vet again. Maybe a different vet this time.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
just saying what I've done …. turtles coming in from someplace else I quarantine a long time , I dread putting them with mine even after a year ….. as was said in a post here , just changing their environment can get them sick ….. turtle I keep in a group , one gets sick and i'm of the opinion they all been exposed …my opinon is , viral causes , I think your screwed , quarantine may save some ……. bacterial , which I think is way more common cause in turtles , those bacteria are everywhere and they're exposed to them regularly …..….. I do take them out initially for the fact they are hard to find , sometimes I can't find them for days , and treatment is on a schedule , after I treat them a bit and keep them warm i'll put them back in there normal environment as soon as possible …….. I have seen one turtle get sick out of a group and none of the others many times …… I think as MarkW said earlier , take a real good look at their environmental conditions , stress is a BIG DEAL , if their conditions are optimal I personally wouldn't worry about the others …….if she doesn't appear stressed how your keeping her , keeping her where you can control her environment better seems like a good idea ……. bringing my turtles in , is about like going and catching a wild turtle and bringing it in , they are pretty stressed …….. sick and stressed , myself , I like to keep to a minimum ……. I treated a wood turtle one time with antibiotics outside in her enclosure in November in northern ohio , I put a heat lamp out there for her while I was treating her with antibiotics , they all found it and appeared to love it , I took it away 4-5 days after I completed her round of antibiotics , they all and her hibernated without issue that year ……. some turtles are shier than others and won't eat in an uncomfortable situation …some wild turtles will starve to death from being captured …….

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Sorry I'm late to the thread, @Toddrickfl1. How are they doing, and what did you decide to do (if anything) about making any changes husbandry-wise?