Need Advice quickly please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hi
I just got a Greek trio(one hour ago) and the male has a runny nose(clear), is it likely a response to stress or should I be acting on it in terms of antibiotics etc? I am at the vets tomorrow anyway but don't really want to move him again if it is not necessary.

Any suggestions appreciated especially before the morning.

What are the options for antibiotics-Baytril? I may need a dosage too as my vet has not got any experiences with tortoises.

Advice greatly appreciated

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would just keep him warm until the vet visit.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
dmmj said:
I would just keep him warm until the vet visit.
Thanks for a prompt reply
So you would take him right away without waiting a few days?
He has had 2 moves in 2 days because of a long journey-do you think a trip to the vet will cause more harm at this stage?
I'm not sure that my vet will know what she is looking at-if you know what I mean. the only torts she has seen were a couple of my Red foots 5 yrs ago.
I had to ask for the drug i wanted and tell her the dose and where it was to be injected (i have forgotten all that though)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Are these the greeks you posted pictures of a few days ago?

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
dmmj said:
Are these the greeks you posted pictures of a few days ago?

Yes they are the same ones DMMJ

Tortoise said:
Hi
I just got a Greek trio(one hour ago) and the male has a runny nose(clear), is it likely a response to stress or should I be acting on it in terms of antibiotics etc? I am at the vets tomorrow anyway but don't really want to move him again if it is not necessary.

Any suggestions appreciated especially before the morning.

What are the options for antibiotics-Baytril? I may need a dosage too as my vet has not got any experiences with tortoises.

Advice greatly appreciated

Still hoping for more opinions please????

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
MatrixDJ said:
If he/she has a runny nose I would take the baby to the vet. Babies have a much smaller chance of surviving a sinus infection than adults. Here is the list located on this site:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Forum-Tortoise-Vet-List#axzz1dKD5ltmr

Thank you for the reply matrixDJ
I did end up taking him as I had an appt for my dog anyway this morning so it was perfect timing.
My vet and staff had not seen tortoises since I took some years back so they were quite fascinated and learned a bit more. I basically showed up with my tortoise books asked them for Baytril and gave them the dosage and they did the first injection for me so I can do the rest at home.

He is pretty sleepy now and under the heat lamp-hopefully he can now adjust to his new home as he has only been with me for 12 hours.
The females are separate and so far seem clear from a runny nose.
He is about 4/5 yrs old and so beautiful-I'll post more pictures when he is feeling a little better.
Thank you again for replying-i was really worried.

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Glad to hear that things are working out okay!! I wish folks would respond to my thread.. I'm a little worried too but no actual signs like that of sickness. Anyways, I look forward to those pictures!!!

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
MatrixDJ said:
Glad to hear that things are working out okay!! I wish folks would respond to my thread.. I'm a little worried too but no actual signs like that of sickness. Anyways, I look forward to those pictures!!!

HI
I would expect Gary will get back to you(especially as he asked for more info from you), he is really helpful and usually responds.You could always email or private message him too?

Yes sometimes I don't get many replies even when I'm quite concerned but i guess it depends who is online and how long your thread stays visible on that front page especially-I tend to fall back on a few trusted members and email and Pm them if I need quicker reassurance.They are the kind of people that really don't mind too which is so valuable.

I have no experiences with Russian tortoises so don't feel I can really offer any substantial advice. I think when the air temps in the room with the tortoises increases I see more activity with my tortoises generally despite the fact they all have adequate basking spots. Not sure if its cooler where their enclosure is located?
Just a thought?

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I would assume he will too. Thanks for peek at it. Athena is a baby greek though

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am sorry I did not see this thread sooner... In all honesty, I would not have opted to start Baytril right away. I would have kept him very warm and humid for about a week and observed.

Baytril can be very painful at the injection sight, and it can also cause them to go off feed. The stress is hard on them, especially after so many moves in such a short time.

Especially when the fluid from the nose is clear, it is better to wait. I honestly have never required antibiotics to clear up a RNS, just temperature and humidity control.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Kristina said:
I am sorry I did not see this thread sooner... In all honesty, I would not have opted to start Baytril right away. I would have kept him very warm and humid for about a week and observed.

Baytril can be very painful at the injection sight, and it can also cause them to go off feed. The stress is hard on them, especially after so many moves in such a short time.

Especially when the fluid from the nose is clear, it is better to wait. I honestly have never required antibiotics to clear up a RNS, just temperature and humidity control.

Hi Kristina
Thanks for the reply. Well based on the fact I have given him one of 5 injections, do I just stop them now or continue with the other 4 because I already started the course?
I soaked him just now and he has a bubble of mucus coming from one side only-the other nostril is dry. Not sure of the significance of one nostril affected? I wiped it off and another bubble formed.It is clear but a little goopy.

All of the Greeks the 2 females and him are very quiet and tend to hide all day. He has eaten though and in the bath he pooped.
I have some hay in their enclosures and they seem to just want to hide. When I take them out they are cool to the touch and in their shells-very inactive.

Not sure if this is a settling in thing or more to it? The females are not eating much -only ate once in 3 days and that was after a soak. they have been soaked twice and always produced urates and pooped too.

Just in case it helps the females are 4 inches and 4.25 inches and the male around 5.25 inches
Females weigh 254 grammes and 274 grammes, the male weighs 427 grammes

their basking spot is up to 37.2 and the lowest temps in their enclosure 20 ish.
Air temps are low 20's too

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.