Need Advice, possible shell rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Have noticed my softshell looking a bit larger than normal the past few days, I assumed she had been enjoying the feeder fish since their numbers are decreasing. However today when I did my monthly weigh & measure I noticed just how bad she looks. She seems to be bulging out of her shell, her skin is very soft and thin, part of her plastron is spongy and she has three sores on her. She has been basking, active and normal acting. I have placed her in a 10 gallon tank temporarily for easier monitoring.

Of course we always have emergencies on Sundays so no vet until monday, and the only herp vet here only sees them on weds. So I am looking for advice.

Does it look like shell rot or something else?

Is there anything I can do until I get her to the vet?

Background:

This turtle was given to me by a neighbor about 5 months ago, she was in a 5 gallon bucket full of algea and very thin.
Since then she has lived in a 90 gallon aquarium.
Water is 70-75 degrees.
Basking spot is 85-90 and large enough that she gets completely out of the water.
Add fish to the tank when they are all gone and I feed reptomin.
Shares the tank with 2 RES and 2 map. (during winter, summer they go out)

Any advice is much appreciated.

the two pics in the water are from shortly after I got her, all the others are from tonight.
http://s177.photobuc...marie24/Softie/

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Mandi, I tried to open your posted pictures and could not. Could be me, lets see if another member can open it.

Does you turtle have sun exposure?

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
Took Nessie to the vet, took 2 hours since there was an ice storm :(.

But we got some silvadene to treat the sores. The vet did not seem to knowledgeable with reptiles, the reptile lady doesnt work on Sundays. Hopefully this will work though. Will update on progress.

And found out that Nessie is a boy.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
herpgirl24 said:
Took Nessie to the vet, took 2 hours since there was an ice storm :(.

But we got some silvadene to treat the sores. The vet did not seem to knowledgeable with reptiles, the reptile lady doesnt work on Sundays. Hopefully this will work though. Will update on progress.

And found out that Nessie is a boy.

Taking it to a vet without much knowledge with reptiles is dangerous, especially in a situation like this. How clean is his water? Is it filtered? I don't recommend keeping softshells with other turtles. Their claws literally slash wounds in their shells. Also, a 90 gallon tank is too small for 5 turtles. Please consider seperating Nessie into a 90 gallon (or 125 gallon) alone with very fine sand to burrow in and keep the water heavily filtered.

Status
Not open for further replies.