Is my tort trying to hibernate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakeyourhip

5 Year Member
So my new tort Kaiju that I've had since July has been acting up, well down actually. He's outdoors most of the time with night's getting down to mid 50's. For the past week he has had no appetite and has been sleeping or just sitting in his hide. When I put him in his new indoor enclosure with heat lamps, he is active, but that tends to be the situation whenever he is in a new environment (park, etc).
He's around 7 years of age and has been hibernated before by his old owners. He's my first tort and I prefer not to hibernate him; I bought him the indoor enclosure & lamps to keep him warm. I'm in California and the high temps still go into the 80's. I just thought he was a month early in trying to hibernate himself. By not allowing him to, will I mess with his system too much. Thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Others on here have theirs do the same thing, but they come out the next day and bask in the sun. I don't really know much about your species, but I would guess if you don't want it to hibernate then bring him in at night and put him back outside in the day time when temps permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.