Need advice changing enclosure & sanitizing

CandyApple

Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
We currently have our 2 month old redfoot in a 40 gallon tank. Despite covering it with tape it is still not holding humidity.

So I have a 2' x 3' PVC enclosure that has a mounted radiant heat panel but it has a cornsnake in it at the moment so I'd like to switch the tortoise and corn snake. I need to know

A) How do I sanitize the PVC enclosure safely before I put my tortoise in it?

B) What should the ambient temp be? I won't really have a hot spot but one side surface temps will be a little warmer than the other side. I'm using a herpstat 6 so I could set a night drop too if it would be beneficial.

C) What is the ideal substrate for a red foot at this age (2 months). He's on Cypress right now but I do have spaghnum moss and eco earth coco coir on hand now as well

D) Is this enclosure size adequate and how long do you think I have before I'll need to upgrade?

I shouldn't have any issues getting the humidity to 80% without keeping the substrate damp.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I usually just wash them out with soap and water then leave it sitting in the sun for a couple days. I think you can use vinegar and water or salt and water. If you use bleach, be sure to rinse it thoroughly. But sitting in the sun is great for killing any little no-see-ums you missed in the washing.

For young RF tortoises my enclosure stays at 80F degrees day and night, all over the whole enclosure.

My substrate of choice for all my tortoises in indoor enclosures is small grade orchid bark (fir).

2'x3' would be ok for a while, but it is rather small. It's hard to get any "furniture" in a small space like that, and lots of plants and 'stuff' gives it a safer feel for a prey type baby tortoise.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Soap and hot water then air dry. Should be fine