Need Advice About Ear Abscess

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunrabbit

5 Year Member
Sorry to bother you all, but I know there are some of you who are knowledgeable about ear abscesses, and I just found a young eastern box turtle (on a busy road--I almost hit him with my car) with quite an abscess on one side of his head. He's not a tortoise, but I can't afford to take him to the vet and I wonder if you guys would help me out anyway. Would you recommend me lancing it, and if so would you tell me the details so I could do it right and make sure it heals? Thank you so much in advance for any advice or assistance!

--Liz (sunrabbit)
Southern Louisiana

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Look for a wild life rehabber in your area, they should be able to help , lancing an abscess, is not difficult, but it should not be done by an amateur.

sunrabbit

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Look for a wild life rehabber in your area, they should be able to help , lancing an abscess, is not difficult, but it should not be done by an amateur.

That would certainly be ideal, but I don't think there is anyone nearby. The closest place I know of is about an hour and a half drive from my home--I once drove a snapping turtle with a cracked shell to the Wildlife Hospital in Baton Rouge, but I don't know if I'll have time to make the drive in the next few days. How could I find someone more local? I would think there would be a lot of rehabbers here in Southern Louisiana! Maybe I'll have to become one to fill the need!

sunrabbit

5 Year Member
dmmj said:

How can I find a local rehabber? The closest I know of is an hour and a half drive away . . .

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree that lancing that abscess should be done by an experienced rehabber. So look around your area you should be able to find someone, if not let us know and if noone else will help you, I will. I have done it many times...

sunrabbit

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
I agree that lancing that abscess should be done by an experienced rehabber. So look around your area you should be able to find someone, if not let us know and if noone else will help you, I will. I have done it many times...

What is the best way to locate a rehabber in my area? Is there some sort of online database or website I can search?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Google......your cities name followed by wildlife rehab facilities.....see what you come across....:D

Also...please be 100% diligent in isolating him from any other of your torts or turtles to assure no contact as well as wash wash wash your hands to assure no cross contamination if you are going to want to release him again into the wild....:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Liz:

Welcome to the Forum!!

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Mississippi
check to see if the IMMS ( institute for marine mammal studies) in your area is willing to take in a terrestrial tortoise. ive worked with them in mississippi not in louisiana though. since the oil spill they have taken in sea turtles. they do help other reptiles as well. you could see about letting the vets there lance it and return it when its healthy.

sunrabbit

5 Year Member
Okay, so apparently there is only ONE turtle rehabber in the whole STATE, and he lives over four hours drive from me. My husband suggested I just let the little guy go back where I found him (moved off the road, of course), but I am worried. Do these types of abscesses ever heal on their own? It looks pretty bad, but the turtle himself seems very active and pretty healthy otherwise. I don't have any permanent turtle habitats--I am just a nature lover that keeps reptiles or amphibians in a temporary habitat overnight and then lets them go. I don't want to keep this guy too long in a small (10 gallon) habitat. What should I do?!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Status
Not open for further replies.