Hermanns Ear Abscess

onterrio

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario Canada
Yes! one drop per day of copaiba oil (pure essential oil) diluted with a couple of drops of pure mineral oil, or liquid organic coconut oil- which is my preference over mineral oil due to the antibiotic/antifungal properties of coconut oil, will heal the abcess without lancing it. Also- the reason they get these abcesses is due to lack of Vitamin A - lots of leafy greens, cut down on sugared fruit.

If you just leave it alone and give lots of high vitamin A foods- also chopped white mushrooms, and a few mazuri pellets with the romain lettuce and white mushroom, they will heal on their own. I wouldn't cut the ear open to lance it. You can permanently damage the tympanic membrane...

The copaiba oil is something they can get in the South American regions by biting and rubbing against the bark and roots- which may be why we don't see these ear abcesses in wild populations, that I've ever read about.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRHAIEQ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
I recently bought a Hermann’s tortoise and noticed a small ear abscess. This may be a dumb question but do you put the oil on the abscess or feed it to the tortoise? I’d like to try this before going to the vet. Thanks