Natural Sunlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
How many hours of natural sunlight is actually needed for Star torts in a day? I walk mine in my lawn under the sun for about 45 minutes everyday or every other day when I get the time.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Do they have UVB light indoors? If they do, they do not "need" any, although when the weather allows it is much appreciated (as is an outdoor enclosure). Make sure the lawn is chemical-free (no pesticides, fertilizers, etc). If it is a public lawn, 99% sure they use chemicals. As much sun as you can get them is best. That sounds sufficient for their UVB.

Sulcatatortoiseman

5 Year Member
just rember to not give your tortoise supplements with D3 if you let them bask outside.they can get calcified kidneys i think.

samstar

5 Year Member
Yes it's my own lawn and it chemical free. I do have megaray mvb which I leave on for about 8-10 hours a day but just thought maybe some natural sunlight would be good and if yes than for how long?

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
samstar said:
How many hours of natural sunlight is actually needed for Star torts in a day? I walk mine in my lawn under the sun for about 45 minutes everyday or every other day when I get the time.

Great!:cool:

According to the people Doctors, we need a minimum of 1 hour of continuous sunlight to process Vitamin D and trigger the rest of the vital processes.

samstar

5 Year Member
webskipper said:
samstar said:

Great!:cool:

According to the people Doctors, we need a minimum of 1 hour of continuous sunlight to process Vitamin D and trigger the rest of the vital processes.

Today Torty got a good 1 hour of natural sunlight

Luvthemtorts

5 Year Member
Southeast
Sound advice.
Hypervitaminosis-D3 is bad news indeed.

Sulcatatortoiseman said:
just rember to not give your tortoise supplements with D3 if you let them bask outside.they can get calcified kidneys i think.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
That's correct. With the proper diet, you won't have to blanket their food with calcium.

Read book on Herbs and healing with Herbs for information on what veggies help with what. Readers Digest had a good article. Good for your own diet as well. Eat right and reduce or eliminate the meds (if you are on them).

As it has been mentioned a thousand times here, the Pear Cactii is high in calcium. Grow it so they can graze or chop it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.