Natural food!

timus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern Shore of Maryland
I found a plant a while back that was from the same area of Italy that our tortoises are from. It’s called babies tears. I was hoping to have it in the enclosure and hoped that they would eat it. Well they haven’t went down to that area of the enclosure much as it’s a big chamber for the little guys. But today I saw two of them venture down there and both eat some of the plant!! I was excited to see this. The plant is also great because it flows out of the pot and they can go under and use it for cover. Anyways here’s a pic of the one little guy by the plant. There’s also one further back so you can see the size difference. B184E232-2E06-4E1E-A2C4-E738418D182F.jpeg837375C3-F4BD-441D-8220-90733002003D.jpeg

TisMary

New York
I found a plant a while back that was from the same area of Italy that our tortoises are from. It’s called babies tears. I was hoping to have it in the enclosure and hoped that they would eat it. Well they haven’t went down to that area of the enclosure much as it’s a big chamber for the little guys. But today I saw two of them venture down there and both eat some of the plant!! I was excited to see this. The plant is also great because it flows out of the pot and they can go under and use it for cover. Anyways here’s a pic of the one little guy by the plant. There’s also one further back so you can see the size difference.

UPDATE: thanks for the picture. Helxine soleirolii, is synonymous with Soleirolia soleirolii (same as from TTT below). Turns out soleirolii is the only species in the genus Helxine - that's very unusual - and extremely cool! ?

Great plants and enclosure @timus! Take a look at the pictures on this page from TTT - I think it looks like yours. Whaddya think? Baby's Tears. It's also called "Mind Your Own Business"! Gotta love gardeners! ?

Last edited:

timus

5 Year Member
Eastern Shore of Maryland
UPDATE: thanks for the picture. Helxine soleirolii, is synonymous with Soleirolia soleirolii (same as from TTT below). Turns out soleirolii is the only species in the genus Helxine - that's very unusual - and extremely cool! ?

Great plants and enclosure @timus! Take a look at the pictures on this page from TTT - I think it looks like yours. Whaddya think? Baby's Tears. It's also called "Mind Your Own Business"! Gotta love gardeners! ?
I liked the name Corsican curse? It is a cool plant. Plants are pretty darn cool in general.