nattering..

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, arizona
Over the years our yard has changed. What was once wild and beautiful Bermuda with few trees, is now shaded and mostly dirt. RV has grown from a young sprout who couldn't keep up with the growth of the grass, to a yard stomping eating machine. We have cactus and I've been supplementing with Mazuri and vegetables. Today I went to Tractor Supply and bought 2 compressed bermuda hay bales. Hopefully I can keep up with the demands of a grazing tort; it worries me when I walk out and find her eating dried mesquite bean pods. I rake of course but more fall when I turn my back.

How do YOU satisfy your torts, when graze is scarce?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Over the years our yard has changed. What was once wild and beautiful Bermuda with few trees, is now shaded and mostly dirt. RV has grown from a young sprout who couldn't keep up with the growth of the grass, to a yard stomping eating machine. We have cactus and I've been supplementing with Mazuri and vegetables. Today I went to Tractor Supply and bought 2 compressed bermuda hay bales. Hopefully I can keep up with the demands of a grazing tort; it worries me when I walk out and find her eating dried mesquite bean pods. I rake of course but more fall when I turn my back.

My 4 adult sulcatas were ALWAYS hungry. They used to eat bales of oat straw in the winter in CT when other foods were scarce. Hopefully your tortoise will eat the baled hay.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I have around 40 stands of spineless opuntia cactus growing. That makes up a couple or three days a week.

I found a whole neighborhood with over 50 giant mature fruitless mulberry trees. I cut branches and fill the back of my truck a couple of times a week, and the residents there love it and tell me to take more.

Then I use a wide assortment of whatever else I can find to mix in for variety. Weeds, squash leaves, African hibiscus, grape vine leaves, grasses from safe sources, gazania flowers, pumpkins, salad leftovers, etc...

Mazuri is good for a couple of feedings a week. Either the original 5M21 or the newer LS type.

For sulcatas, I like to soak horse hay pellets and mix those in with whatever else I am feeding. I will also chop up Bermuda or orchard grass hay to mix in with other stuff.

Will introduced me to Purina Organic lay crumbles as a mix in, as well as a wide assortment of red leaf option to mix in that are sold through Kapidolofarms.com.

Another friend recommends Purina Equine Senior pellets as an occasional supplement for giants.

But the easiest and best way to keep sulcatas fed, their main daily staple, should be grass hay. Bermuda, teff, or orchard grass hay. I use the lid from an 18 gallon tub, or some other similar plastic "tray", and simply drop a dry "flake" of hay on it. That is all they ever "need". More stuff is great, but not necessary. Just drop another flake as each one is eaten. This is one of the joys of keeping sulcatas once they get large enough. Adults are sooooo easy to feed. I feel that adding a few opuntia pads weekly help to keep them hydrated, and keep the GI tract moving along nicely with all the dry hay.

Today my giants got a mash of lots of this stuff. Chopped and soaked orchard grass hay and Bermuda hay, Equine Senior, lay crumbles, assorted weeds, grass, and a big tub of soaked Timothy hay horse pellets. I mixed all of this stuff in an 18 gallon tub and then doled it out on their trays.

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
I have around 40 stands of spineless opuntia cactus growing. That makes up a couple or three days a week.

I found a whole neighborhood with over 50 giant mature fruitless mulberry trees. I cut branches and fill the back of my truck a couple of times a week, and the residents there love it and tell me to take more.

Then I use a wide assortment of whatever else I can find to mix in for variety. Weeds, squash leaves, African hibiscus, grape vine leaves, grasses from safe sources, gazania flowers, pumpkins, salad leftovers, etc...

Mazuri is good for a couple of feedings a week. Either the original 5M21 or the newer LS type.

For sulcatas, I like to soak horse hay pellets and mix those in with whatever else I am feeding. I will also chop up Bermuda or orchard grass hay to mix in with other stuff.

Will introduced me to Purina Organic lay crumbles as a mix in, as well as a wide assortment of red leaf option to mix in that are sold through Kapidolofarms.com.

Another friend recommends Purina Equine Senior pellets as an occasional supplement for giants.

But the easiest and best way to keep sulcatas fed, their main daily staple, should be grass hay. Bermuda, teff, or orchard grass hay. I use the lid from an 18 gallon tub, or some other similar plastic "tray", and simply drop a dry "flake" of hay on it. That is all they ever "need". More stuff is great, but not necessary. Just drop another flake as each one is eaten. This is one of the joys of keeping sulcatas once they get large enough. Adults are sooooo easy to feed. I feel that adding a few opuntia pads weekly help to keep them hydrated, and keep the GI tract moving along nicely with all the dry hay.

Today my giants got a mash of lots of this stuff. Chopped and soaked orchard grass hay and Bermuda hay, Equine Senior, lay crumbles, assorted weeds, grass, and a big tub of soaked Timothy hay horse pellets. I mixed all of this stuff in an 18 gallon tub and then doled it out on their trays.
I seen layer crumbles mentioned before and would have never thought about them. Is it to help with calcium supplement?

Mine are still little, but roughly at what age/size do you start this? I'm bookmarking this thread for later.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I seen layer crumbles mentioned before and would have never thought about them. Is it to help with calcium supplement?

Mine are still little, but roughly at what age/size do you start this? I'm bookmarking this thread for later.
I soak it then mix it in with the chopped greens, starting from when they're just out if the egg.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

It helps with calcium and all sorts of other nutrients too. This is a good supplemental food source for any age or any species of tortoise.

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
I soak it then mix it in with the chopped greens, starting from when they're just out if the egg.
It helps with calcium and all sorts of other nutrients too. This is a good supplemental food source for any age or any species of tortoise.
Thank you both. I guess I will start adding it. I already buy chicken feed so it's an easy add. I'll check for the horse pellets too.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

Think of it as sugar-free Mazuri.